Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The disappointment of anxiety returning. It's so frustrating!

The disappointment of anxiety returning. It's so frustrating!

After a year of doing really well, anxiety has reared it's head again. Insomnia, lack of appetite, obsessive worries, the whole bit.

I'm so disappointed that it's returned so soon. This is my third bout with anxiety; the first time was 6 years ago, then last year, and now again. I've now got thoughts in my head that every year or every few months I'm going to have to deal with a relapse. The first time, it took about 3 months to clear up; the second time, 5 or 6 months; who knows with this time. Will it get to the point that most of the time I'll just be miserable?

How do the rest of you deal with recurring anxiety relapses?

Re: The disappointment of anxiety returning. It's so frustrating!

Its hard I know, the insomnia can be especially hard to cope with at times, I know it all too well unfortunately. Remember, you can't predict the future and it shall pass over time, Its not abnormal for an episode to take months to resolve.

I'm sorry I don't have any concrete advice for you, NervouKel, I just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

Wishing you well.

~Sal
    Last edited by Scissel; 09-11-19 at 05:40.

The good folks here taught me not to look at flair ups as "going backward". I feel your pain and I wish you a speedy recovery.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Instead of being disappointed by it's return, it's definitely worth reminding yourself that you have the tools to recover because you've already proven that to yourself. Life is about good and bad, and the best way to deal with the bad is to accept it and let it pass.

It's also worth trying to have a look at the things that are causing you stress, one of which can be negative thought patterns.

Depending on where you live, it's very common for people to start to feel low around September onwards because we get less sunlight, and therefore a lot less Vitamin D. This is a crucial nutrient for mental health and there's no harm in using a good quality supplement.

I'm in a similar boat to yourself.
    Couldn't agree with wired incorrectly more, try not to see it as going backwards. It's the same dealing with it now as it was before. Sometimes I find that if I've not struggled with something for a while I can underestimate how much it can effect me, so I write things down just so I can get it clear in my head.
    There's no guarantee it will always happen for longer periods or that it will come back frequently. I find it just happens and over time it's gotten easier to manage, you'll be okay x

Quote Originally Posted by HalfJack View Post
    I'm in a similar boat to yourself.
    Couldn't agree with wired incorrectly more, try not to see it as going backwards. It's the same dealing with it now as it was before. Sometimes I find that if I've not struggled with something for a while I can underestimate how much it can effect me, so I write things down just so I can get it clear in my head.
    There's no guarantee it will always happen for longer periods or that it will come back frequently. I find it just happens and over time it's gotten easier to manage, you'll be okay x
    Do you take meds for it half jack? What helped you?x

Good advice from more experienced people on here, positive thinking, CBT, hypnotherapy and exercise are the most effective for me personally.
    I have been on/off medication too yeah.

There's lots of information on the front page of this site, a lot of which I found really helpful too.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfJack View Post
    Good advice from more experienced people on here, positive thinking, CBT, hypnotherapy and exercise are the most effective for me personally.
    I have been on/off medication too yeah.

There's lots of information on the front page of this site, a lot of which I found really helpful too.
    if it’s ok to ask- what meds have you been on and off of?

xx

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmitchell1984 View Post
    if it’s ok to ask- what meds have you been on and off of?

xx
    It's fine to ask but honestly, everyone has different experiences on them so what works for one person may not work for you. If you have a good relationship with your doctor they should be able to point you toward a medication that will be best suited to your individual issues.

No idea how to spell them but I tried citalopram when I was 18 and it made me sick so I stopped. At 20 my new doctor suggested fluoxotine which was okay and I took it for a year or so but stopped due to side effects. In my mid 20s I was prescribed sertraline and I've found that to be the best for me with no notable side effects, my boyfriend at the time was actually allergic to sertraline so I was wary of trying it at first.

I’m glad you have found something that worked for you. I am on my fourth time of fluoxetine/ Prozac and I am starting to wonder if it will work this time.

best wishes,

sally

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information