Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern meds 2019

Modern meds 2019

I came off citralopram about 6 months ago having been on them for about 7 to 10 years. If I was to need anti depressants / anxiety treatment again, what would the doctor likely give me? Have there been any advancements in medications over that time or would it be the same meds?

Re: Modern meds 2019

My GP is so bad they didn’t even look at my history from past 2 years ago. When I mentioned I was on Citalopram before, that’s exactly what he prescribed me.
    in a way I m glad as I know with what I m dealing here ie. side effects.
    I m not sure if there is anything better available these days , I think it also depends how people react to different meds.
    Lets hope you won’t need to go back on meds.

I recall when first going on citralopram feeling really ill with the side effects and reading some great posts on here which helped me get day to day. With medical advances I thought things may have moved on but not by the sounds of it. I've recently had a blip (health anxiety) but today I felt better than yesterday so hopefully I'm heading back to being well again without meds. I downloaded about 20 apps on my phone, plenty to choose from these days and even paid about £170 for 'the linden method' whilst in panic (what a devasting waste of money.) Apps are great and loads of free ones. I've found a free app which has helped me massively using the Dare method. With mental health issues increasing in China and the USA I thought they'd be more medicine help available.

They are making some progress recently in regards to new medications but they won't be available for a long time in all likelihood.
    I've got a few friends who have found CBD oil helpful but I've never tried it myself and am not really familiar with its benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmo View Post
    I came off citralopram about 6 months ago having been on them for about 7 to 10 years. If I was to need anti depressants / anxiety treatment again, what would the doctor likely give me?
    Probably citalopram again, or escitalopram which has the same active drug.

Have there been any advancements in medications over that time or would it be the same meds?
    There have been a few new ADs released in the last decade, but none have proved to be superior to the older meds and are not prescribed that often.

Have there been any advancements in medications over that time
    Most of the major drug companies stopped developing new ADs about a 10-15 years ago, partly because some took a big hit financially when drugs under development failed at the final human drug trials hurdle, and because of litigation in the U.S. resulting in huge payouts for a while.

Hey Ian Panic

What yous take on these new ADs being tested rite now using fetanyl? Is there ketamine one too?

Quote Originally Posted by lebonvin View Post
    What yous take on these new ADs being tested rite now using fetanyl?
    There are fentanyl based ADs under development? Do you have any links?

Is there ketamine one too?
    That's a wait and see. When it works ketamine seems to produce a rapid anti depressive response, but I think there is a long way to go as a viable alternative to current ADs and will be mostly be used for severe treatment resistant depression in an in-clinic/hospital setting which significantly increases the cost (the nasal-spray version seems to be very hit and miss, mostly miss, in its effectiveness). At this stage I see it more as an alternative to ECT than to ADs.

Hey Ian

I don't got links but some lady on another forum I was perusing a few month back said she was on clinical trial in UK sorry can't remember more than that

Wow...I would think the fentanyl would be one powerful punch...even a tiny bit can be toxic to those who use opioids. Also, don’t ADs lower the stuff the body needs to process opioids?

2year back I was put on this real new AD it was a SSRI and something else at same time took 6 week it did pig shit all I remember is made in Denmark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information