Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern meds 2019

Re: Modern meds 2019

Quote Originally Posted by lebonvin View Post
    2year back I was put on this real new AD it was a SSRI and something else at same time took 6 week it did pig shit all I remember is made in Denmark
    Probably vortioxetine (Trintellix, originally Brintellix) developed by Lundbeck. It seems to be okay for depression, but hit and miss for anxiety. Plus 6 weeks isn't really long enough to draw any conclusions.

Es corretto. I wasn't improving so trashed it

Crazy when you Consider the amount of lost 'work days' to economies around the world that it isn't a massive priority.

I was on mood stabilizers well they used to be anti psycho tics but they helped me and put me on the Right path

Quote Originally Posted by bigmo View Post
    Crazy when you Consider the amount of lost 'work days' to economies around the world that it isn't a massive priority.
    The big pharmaceutical companies walked away from psyche drugs more than a decade ago, a combination of questionable expensive law suites and even more expensive drug trial failures of what had promised to be more effective drugs with fewer side-effects, Merck's MK-869 being the most spectacular demise (although it was later found to be a fairly good anti nausea med (aprepitant (Emend)) which has helped recoup some of the money).

There hasn't really been anything new this century. Newish ADs such as agomelatine (Melitor), levomilnacipran (Fetzima), vilazodone (Viibryd) and vortioxetine (Trintellix) have not been that successful and the latter three are simply variations on the SSRI/SNRI theme. A number of novel AD candidates have been spruiked as the next new thing for quite a while, but the promise seems to be taking a long time to materialise.

The older ADs, the MAOIs and TCAs developed back in the 1950s are still arguably the most effective anxiety and depression meds. The only real advantage SSRIs and SNRIs have is being safer in overdose, and even that isn't true of all of them. There popularity mostly rests on past marketing and doctor ignorance with many having little experience of the older meds.

I've been reading about srni's which seem to be newer than ssris.. Any improvement, I'm guessing not otherwise we'd all be in them?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmo View Post
    I've been reading about srni's which seem to be newer than ssris.. Any improvement, I'm guessing not otherwise we'd all be in them?
    Venlafaxine (Effexor), duloxetine (Cymbalta) and milnacipran (Savella) have been around nearly as long as the SSRIs, with desvenlafaxine (Pristiq), which is the active metabolite of venlafaxine, a little more recent and the most recent is levomilnacipran (Fetzima), which is the active isomer of milnacipran (the same patent extending tactic first applied with citalopram and escitalopram). Levomilnacipran is still in patent so may be more expensive than the others in some countries.

Venlafaxine is really only a SSRI having only a modest affect on noradrenaline (NA), aka norepinephrine, reuptake even at the maximum dose. Desvenlafaxine is more potent than its parent in NA inhibition, but not by much. The SSRIs fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft) and especially paroxetine (Paxil) are all more potent NA reuptake inhibitors, albeit still only weak ones, than either venlafaxine versions.

All SNRIs suffer from having short half-lives which can increase initial side-effects severity, duloxetine seems to be the worst in that regard, and can make stopping them hard too, especially venlafaxine which vies with paroxetine for withdrawal symptom severity.

Imho, the serotonin+NA reuptake inhibiting TCA class meds are the better option, but if they are off the table for some reason then I think milnacipran and levomilnacipran are the pick of the bunch if available. Milnacipran inhibits serotonin and NA almost equally, whereas levomilnacipran is a more potent NA than serotonin inhibitor.

But at the end of the day it's all guesswork and similar to prescribing a broad spectrum antibiotic to cover all bases.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    But at the end of the day it's all guesswork and similar to prescribing a broad spectrum antibiotic to cover all bases.
    Recently I’ve become very intrigued with Russian nootropics especially selank and also stresam.

I can personally vouch for stresam as I gave it a trial for 30 days - got rid of anxiety, only side effects was a headache for 4 first days and no withdrawals. These meds are not controlled here in the UK as they are classed as nootropics but in some countries they are strong enough to be prescription only - stresam comes from France and is a prescription anxiolytic.

Just make sure you don’t start ordering Russian novel benzos like tofisopam or phenazepam as these have different legal statuses and is a slippery slope

Quote Originally Posted by Benjammin69 View Post
    Recently I’ve become very intrigued with Russian nootropics especially selank and also stresam.

I can personally vouch for stresam as I gave it a trial for 30 days - got rid of anxiety, only side effects was a headache for 4 first days and no withdrawals. These meds are not controlled here in the UK as they are classed as nootropics but in some countries they are strong enough to be prescription only - stresam comes from France and is a prescription anxiolytic.

Just make sure you don’t start ordering Russian novel benzos like tofisopam or phenazepam as these have different legal statuses and is a slippery slope
    I'd be very wary of any drug which came from Russia!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information