Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Modern meds 2019

Re: Modern meds 2019

Interesting. I have wondered what anxiety/depression levels are like in other counyries like China / Russia and the treatments available there to see if they have better success rates or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmo View Post
    Interesting. I have wondered what anxiety/depression levels are like in other counyries like China / Russia and the treatments available there to see if they have better success rates or not.
    Anxiety and depression rates are probably about the same everywhere. Some countries claim lower rates, but this probably has more than to do with stigma, than actual differences in prevalence. For example, Japan claims to have far lower psych disorder rates, but the high prevalence of Hikikomori, aka taijin-kyofusho, a cultural form of social anxiety with agoraphobia, and suicide suggest the figures are rubbery. Similarly, Russia claims more moderate rates of depression than most western countries, yet is number one in suicidality and ranks fourth in alcohol consumption.

Just wonder since I last replied to this threat if there has been any major changes in modern medicines to help with anxiety/depression?

No, and there isn't anything in the pipeline afaik. It takes about a decade to get new meds approved and anxiety and depression are well down the list of disorders attracting research and development funding. Antidepressants, some dating back to the 1950s, are effective, as are the cognitive, behavioural (CBT, REBT, etc) or mindfulness therapies.

Late coming to this but what an interesting thread. I’ve been really intrigued by the newer postpartum depression medication. First it was just avail via IV but now there is an oral version. Zuranolone was approved by the FDA last year.

Brexanolone was approved first and is administered via IV.
    Last edited by newb1234; 06-03-24 at 03:58. Reason: Additional info

Zuranolone may be effective for postpartum depression but it's too early to assess its effectiveness for clinical depression, or anxiety. My guess is it won't become a long-term treatment, but because, at least for postpartum depression, it begins working within a couple of weeks may be co administrated with another AD to provide a quicker response. It targets the GABA-A receptors which may limit its usefulness due to dependency concerns. This is the same receptors activated by benzodiazepines and the 'Z' class insomnia meds.

Yeah, it’s super interesting that there’s an option that works quickly. From what I’ve heard so far the effects of treatment seem to last as well. Time will tell as it’s been studied and been around longer, but cool to see something like that. I imagine when you have PPD you are already tired and feeling terrible anyway so waiting 6 weeks for a regular AD to help is not the best option.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information