Thread: Buspirone as an addition to SSRIs

Buspirone as an addition to SSRIs

How well does buspirone work as an addition to SSRIs for anxiety? And why doesn’t it work so well if you have been using benzodiazepines beforehand? Thanks

Re: Buspirone as an addition to SSRIs

Quote Originally Posted by Windywel View Post
    How well does buspirone work as an addition to SSRIs for anxiety?
    Buspirone has a pretty good track record for boosting the effectiveness of SSRIs/SNRIs/serotonergic TCAs, reinvigorating those which have pooped out and for moderating some of their side-effects, particularly sexual dysfunction.

And why doesn’t it work so well if you have been using benzodiazepines beforehand?
    This is supposedly the case when taken alone for GAD possibly due to an interaction between the tryptamine system mediated by buspirone and BZD systems. However, I assume buspirone wasn't prescribed for its direct anxiolytic properties, but to enhance the effectiveness of citalopram and maybe speed up it's kick-in. But it may take some weeks for buspirone to work so...

Thanks PDU - so it doesn’t really work that well on anxiety? Does it have side effects when you first start taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Windywel View Post
    so it doesn’t really work that well on anxiety?
    Buspirone works very well for some and not at all for many, and then only for GAD and maybe social anxiety. But as per my earlier post, I don't think it was prescribed to directly affect your anxiety levels, but to boost citalopram.

Does it have side effects when you first start taking it?
    Usually only mild ones. Otoh, it could ease some SSRI side-effects.

Thread Information