Thread: High Blood Pressure??

High Blood Pressure??

I have struggled with fluctuating BP for a while now. However, I was at the doctor the other day and it read very high, 160s/90s. Assumed it was just from being at the doctor, but decided to test it at home. Still ran in the 150s/90s, but after sitting and relaxing for a while it dropped a good bit. Anyway, went to my GP and he wants to start me on BP meds because it's so sporadic. My concern is that when I am relaxed, it goes lower, so I am afraid it's going to drop too low. But here's my question: should blood pressure always be a bit elevated when walking around and doing other activities? Is the "REAL" bp reading when sitting and relaxed? Is it hurting me to have an elevated BP when I'm moving around?
    I find it confusing that most sites say BP should be taken after sitting for 5 minutes.. but most of the day I am not sitting?

Re: High Blood Pressure??

Everything I have ever been told or reas suggests you take your blood pressure after you have been sitting quietly for at least 5 minutes.
    Blood pressure will be higher when your up moving around then when your sitting down for a bit but how high it's supposed to go while your up moving about I am not sure. A dr might know the answer though.

I suppose if a dr thinks you should take the meds you probably should but I can understand wanting to know if your blood pressure is actually high first.

More than likely, you'll be given a low dose of one of the popular generic meds like Lisinopril or similar. There's no danger in the meds dropping your BP too low, especially if it's a low dose. I've been on BP meds, beta blockers and blood thinners for over 12 years (pretty high doses) and I know its not an issue. Prior to starting, my BP was borderline high to high and there were times it was normal (and that's after my first heart attack and bypass). I'm sure, while I'm sleeping or relaxing, my BP would be normal even without meds at this point. The only real side effects are breathlessness when I exert myself too much (due to the beta blocker) and occasionally, I might get some dizziness when standing too fast (a combo of the meds and orthostatic hypotension).

Ultimately, it's up to you but I would discuss your concerns with your doctor and make an informed decision. I'll leave you with this to consider. I complained to my doctor about the amount of meds I have to take. He said... "Just be thankful we live in a time when a little pill will manage an issue that a would have killed people in the past".

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Your BP is affected by moving, eating, even talking. If you went for a run your BP will increase to handle that as the blood is pumping more for obvious reasons.

So, when taking a measurement they do it sitting, no talking, legs uncrossed and pointing forwards in an open position, sitting back and not slouching, normal breathing (changing your breathing will change your BP). This was the advice I was given when I went through various tests for Hypertension.

Doctors have been criticised for prescribing BP meds too easily and because of that our do a 24hr ambulatory test to rule out the ups & downs you are talking about. If your doctor is unsure he/she can easily do that and you just wear it on your arm for 24hrs so it can take readings every 30 mins in the day and every hour at night. The idea being they see if it's fluctauting within tolerence or if it's too high too much. With BP it's not just the to high/low, it's also whether it's like that a lot as to require medication to stablise it.

I really like that idea Terry, mine is always high in the cdrs office.

"Real" BP, as you put it, is the resting BP. That's what the doctors are concerned about. Our BP goes up and down depending on what we are doing. That's why those automated BP machines at the pharmacy tell you not to "move or talk" when it is measuring your BP. As Fishmanpa says, they start you on a low dose, so it won't drop your BP too low.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    I really like that idea Terry, mine is always high in the cdrs office.
    Nancy, that's exactly what our NHS cite in the over prescribing of these meds and why they do the ambulatory test. I was out walking and shopping for hours when mine was on and it's like a vice on your arm sometimes It was definitely less tight blowing itself up when I was stationery. Lucky to get any sleep though! I remember as well the nurses told me any exercise before a BP test and they prefer a good 20-30 minutes to calm it down. But in the surgery just calming your breathing will bring it down enough for testing so I just concentrated on a spot on the wall and monitored my breathing.

I really wish the US would adopt the ambulatory test. Here they only do it in special circumstances. It seems like such a useful thing, and would help to better identify who really needs to be on medications, and how much medication they need.

I wondered how hard it was to sleep with it on, though. I figured it would wake you up every time it went off.

Yeah, I don't think I got any sleep, Sparky. Luckily I'm a night owl anyway so it was more a matter of having a longer day and catching a few hours sleep after an early morning appointment to have it removed. It is set to change to hourly recording (I think mine switched after 10pm) so it comes down to how fast you can nod off thinking about it, not great for us when insomnia can be so common when stuff is on our minds. It left one hell of an indent though and scabbed up for a week. My mum has had one too but didn't have that so it might have been a bit tight. You also have to wear the monitor on the other side of your body whether on a clip or over your neck so fun changing tops or putting a jacket on.

Thread Information