Thread: Morning anxiety?

Morning anxiety?

Something I don't think I suffered from before is morning anxiety. It has really only started happening this past week. I also notice it only seems to happen on mornings I wake up naturally without an alarm. On mornings I have had a rough night and need to be wakened by the alarm I wake up straight away, jump out of bed am in the shower starting my morning and no anxiety, I am just on the ball from get go. Yesterday for example woke naturally around 5am, lay in bed and just felt this mixture of dread/sadness/anxiety, I lay there and played with my phone hoping to shift but couldn't. Because the weather yesterday was so horrible I lay about all day and it was evening time before this lifted.

I think I read this is because of cortisol starts getting released prior to waking naturally, I am taking it that when the alarm wakes the cortisol doesn't get a chance to get released? I don't remember feeling this way before anxiety issues, I am assuming the cortisol response was always there I am just in a more aware state of my body now because of anxiety.

Whats your thoughts?

Re: Morning anxiety?

Weird. I’m the exact opposite. I am more depressed when I get woken up by the alarm or the cat and I’m tired and out of it. Especially if I’m in the middle of a bad dream. I’m more at peace and in a good mood when I get to wake up on my own.

Yes I have had this really bad and it’s awful isn’t it? But it doesn’t last forever.

Are you on medication, as that can make it worse at first x

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmitchell1984 View Post
    Yes I have had this really bad and it’s awful isn’t it? But it doesn’t last forever.

Are you on medication, as that can make it worse at first x
    No not on anything bar supplements

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Weird. I’m the exact opposite. I am more depressed when I get woken up by the alarm or the cat and I’m tired and out of it. Especially if I’m in the middle of a bad dream. I’m more at peace and in a good mood when I get to wake up on my own.
    Yes I used to be the same oddly enough before anxiety issues. Hated that damn alarm.

Hi,
    I get this too most days it passes by 10am but at the minute I'm struggling to shake it. This happens to me either with or without the alarm. Just another way anxiety grabs hold. 😭

I used to get this although it just happened regardless of alarm or not. I found that just getting up and showering and getting dressed and ready for the day anyway helped, by the time I was done the day didn't seem so terrible. Some days I'd still feel bad and get back into bed or not finish getting ready and jump back into bed, but usually not.

If yous listen to Claire Weekes, mornings is usually the worst

Metabolic rate (speed at which body creates new cells) is at its lowest

Stress hormone levels (cortisol) at its highest

A bad dream can give yous anxiety

This is a FAQ on many MH forums

You should get up on waking, move about, make a cup of tea, take a shower, put radio on.

Thread Information