Thread: Resigning from work and Universal Credit eligibility

Resigning from work and Universal Credit eligibility

I'm on a career break at work (due to my MH) which is coming to an end and definitely cannot cope with going back. Does anyone have any links or information regarding how resigning (which is automatic if I do not return to work) would affect Universal Credit eligibility?
    How will I know?
    Will I see God?"

- Architects

Re: Resigning from work and Universal Credit eligibility

Apologies but what do you mean by "career break"?
    A friend of mine was off sick from work due to his mental health, and feeling unable to go back he quit and still got universal credit, I'll ask him for more info.

Citizen's advice will sometimes be able to help with things like this if you've not already tried them

Quote Originally Posted by HalfJack View Post
    Apologies but what do you mean by "career break"?
    A friend of mine was off sick from work due to his mental health, and feeling unable to go back he quit and still got universal credit, I'll ask him for more info.

Citizen's advice will sometimes be able to help with things like this if you've not already tried them
    I already had a number of days and a lengthy period off work sick, but because I was there for a certain amount of time I was able to take a career break instead of long-term sick. Basically I don't get paid for while on the break but it keeps my job open and I'm still 'employed.'

I'll try Citizens Advice .
    How will I know?
    Will I see God?"

- Architects

Try ringing the Universal Credit helpline and talk to them.

ďDon't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.Ē - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I left my last job and went right on to Esa, the eligibility is in regards to savings, hours you are currently working and how much per week you would be earning. The Ď.goví website has all of the criteria listed for each benefit.

Positive vibes,

Mouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Try ringing the Universal Credit helpline and talk to them.
    Not quite as simple as that. Not only does it take40 mins - 1 hour to get through, I wanted to receive anonymous advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight-mouse View Post
    I left my last job and went right on to Esa, the eligibility is in regards to savings, hours you are currently working and how much per week you would be earning. The ‘.gov’ website has all of the criteria listed for each benefit.

Positive vibes,

Mouse.

I managed to speak to someone today at the Job Centre who said it isn't that simple. You do actually get sanctioned unless your circumstances are such that you had no choice but to leave; you have to state this and then it goes to to a team who make a decision on your eligibility. Only after that can you receive benefits after resigning from a job. In addition, I do not qualify for 'new style ESA' so I'd have to look into ESA further.
    How will I know?
    Will I see God?"

- Architects

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    I managed to speak to someone today at the Job Centre who said it isn't that simple. You do actually get sanctioned unless your circumstances are such that you had no choice but to leave; you have to state this and then it goes to to a team who make a decision on your eligibility. Only after that can you receive benefits after resigning from a job. In addition, I do not qualify for 'new style ESA' so I'd have to look into ESA further.
    If your illness prevents you from working that is leaving you no choice but to leave. I talked with my doctor who agreed with it, she first signed me off work which was enough to prove my eligibility in regards to my inability to work any longer. She also provided me with a letter of her opinion to my condition which helped me through my last assessment.

Iíve not been switched over to universal credit yet and Iím hoping itís not going to happen before I can work on a home business with my art. I really canít stand the assessment process again for Esa. I hope it all works out for you though.

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

You can't just resign if you're leaving work due to mental health problems. The DWP will penalize you for this if you don't do it the right way.

Visit your doctor and ask for a fit note (more info here: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/fit-note). This is not a sick note. A sick note is short term. A fit note is long term. If your doctor feels you are unfit for work they will agree. Book an appointment and explain how you're unable to work as it's affecting your mental health. They will probably give you a sick note to begin with. If you do not recover, and continue to request a sick note, you can then ask for a fit note. If you've got a long history with mental health problems on your records you might be able to get a fit note right away.

Once you got a fit note you can quit work due to mental health problems and hand them the letter along with resignation. Then you can apply for ESA. But, getting ESA is difficult and the amount of money you get is crap. I'm on it now, and my finances are the worst they've been. I'm working hard on setting up a business to get back into web development from home. I'm really hoping it works out because I can't live on these pennies.

If you can take a month off with a fit/sick note to recoup and get some treatment try that before quitting. A month is long enough to regain your mental health before making a life changing decision. The positive to doing this is you'll get paid from work and it's probably going to be much less than what you usually get. It'll give you a taste of living on a lower income ... sorry my humor sucks.

I know about the fit note thing because my mother was left with life long pain after an operation severed a nerve. She asked me to research it for her, so i did. She's now on ESA and PIP. Thankfully after the death of my stepdad the house was paid for by his health insurance. Her pain is horrendous and doesn't ever go away so she can't work. She's on legal heroin. The NHS fail to take blame because she signed the document that states complications can occur from the surgery and nerve damage was listed.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 19-11-19 at 17:47.

Thread Information