Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortness of breath

Shortness of breath

hi all i am pretty anxious at at the moment (6 weeks into restarting citalopram) and have developed this really awful shortness of breath where i feel like i have to take a deep breath all the time and sometimes cant. Does anyone else get this and have any tips/strategies for dealing with it? It makes me feel even more anxious. Thanks heaps

Re: Shortness of breath

Along with its needed effects, citalopram may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
    Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking citalopram:
    Less common

• Agitation
    • blurred vision
    • confusion
    • fever
    • increase in the frequency of urination or amount of urine produced
    • lack of emotion
    • loss of memory
    • menstrual changes
    • skin rash or itching
    • trouble breathing I would ask ypur doctor

Thanks but I think this for an allergic reaction. I’m not having that - have been on it in the past and this time for 6 weeks. Shortness of breath is really common with anxiety and I was just hoping there were some others out there who’ve had it that could give me some tips on how do manage it as I’m really struggling with it at the moment.

ah okay thought you were asking about the meds, I count when I am having anxiety and can't breathe or I get my weighted blanket and or put arms up over your head.

I had shortness of breath last week with Fluoxetine. I think it is a common side effect. I just tried to accept it- as difficult as that is- and it went away after a few days.

i hope that helps a bit.

best wishes,

sally

Thanks sally do you think it is a side effect of the meds or just of the anxiety? I feel like I would be feeling quite a bit better if that would go away. I’m not even super anxious when I get it. I dud wonder if it’s something to do with fatigue you get from the meds

I don’t know which one it is- but if you are not too anxious- I would say that it is the side effects. Either way, it’s temporary and will go x

When I'm having anxiety I either don't breath at all, or breath too shallow. This can feel like shortness of breath. The opposite end of the spectrum is too much breathing which is hyperventilation. It's swings and roundabouts Windywel. I'm no doctor but it's likely anxiety.

I've had real shortness of breath during long runs. The normal sort that leaves you needing more air because you're pushing your body to its limits. If you're having that sort of shortness of breath without exercise I'd mention it to your doctor as it could be the meds. I can tell when my perceived shortness of breath is anxiety because it feels nothing like the shortness of breath I've had during running.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Shortness of breath - air hunger

hi all i am 9 weeks in to a second round of citalopram (7 weeks on 20). I have seen improvements but I’m still very up and down. My physical anxiety symptoms are much less but my health anxiety is still quite bad and I still have lots of worrying thoughts. The worst thing I have is this really awful shortness of breath where i feel like i have to take a deep breath all the time and sometimes cant. It’s not wheeziness or being puffed just like air hunger. I’ve had it on and off with my anxiety for years but I’m not even feeling that anxious when I get it sometimes now and I’m worried it could be something really serious. It seems to be worse when I’m tired. Does anyone else get this? It makes me feel anxious and depressed and I feel like it’s really hampering my recovery. I’ve also felt really abnormally fatigued over the last few days even though I couldn’t sleep last night and now I’m worried that the anxiety has given me CFS. Thanks heaps

Re: Shortness of breath - air hunger

Just because you don’t think you are anxious doesn’t mean that subconsciously you aren’t, unfortunately that’s just the way it is with anxiety.
    If this is something that you have had with your anxiety for many years then its probably just your anxiety but if your overly concerned you can always bring it up to your doctor on your next visit (((hugs)))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information