Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any hope for me?

Is there any hope for me?

Hi all, I just need a bit of hope. I’m not sure if I have been feeling depressed or anxious - but a bad feeling is following me around all day. I am still able to do things- but it’s always there- stopping me from enjoying/getting into what is going on around me. Is this normal? Am I beyond help? I am on medication (fluoxetine 5 weeks 20mg) but feel constantly nauseous, and I am having hot spells. I have been trying positive affirmations, creative hobbies, reading, mindfulness. I go for a walk every day. I take magnesium and vitamin d and b supplements? I have a counsellor helping me with cbt. I have always got better in the past (this is my 5 time going through all of this) but I am starting to wonder if I will ever get better this time? Is this is for me? Xxxx

Re: Is there any hope for me?

Hi Mrs M...sorry to hear your not feeling to good, I know how your feeling as I’ve been there so many times and going through the same myself again, like you I try and get on with my daily life but it’s hard because that feeling just follows you and the mind chatter of ‘What ifs’ just won’t shut up. But it will get better again I promise, each time we seem to go backwards we always think it’s worse than the last time, but it’s not. It will ease eventually, it always does, and your mood will lift. You are doing everything right so keep doing it. Anxiety really sucks, sometimes you know what’s causing it but other times you don’t. Hope you start feeling better soon. Xx
    Last edited by YoullNeverWalkAlone; 12-11-19 at 08:35.

I know it may be hard to believe, but better days are coming. Anxiety and depression really don't last forever.

Thank you so much to the two of you- you are giving me hope whilst I am in a really dark place. It’s nice to know I am not alone and I wish you both better soon xxx

Mrs M, you are searching for that miracle answer / cure
    There's no strategy to anxiety or depression. There's no time scale either.
    But I have to remind you that you have had better days and more will come.
    This phase is not permanent, yes, it's debilitating, frustrating, disabling and a list as long as your arm.
    And you are expecting them all to just disappear, it doesn't work like that hun, it's a gradual up and down recovery, but you will recover, just stop dwelling on the recovery. Note a bad day, improvement, achievements, even a glimmer of relief. My relapse has been bad too so you are not alone, also about my fifth one. And others are going through exactly the same thing. So remember that you are not marked with something eery or rare, we relate to every single thing you say.
    Take a look at The Anxiety Guy on YouTube, he makes a lot of sense. x

Thank you so much Carnation- that is so kind xxx

BlueIris, Carnation and youwillneverwalkalone-
    can you tell me what your strategies are. I know some of you will feel like you are repeating yourself. I know with anxiety it’s best just to acknowledge your body’s feelings but carry on as normal. But with the depression- is the same approach the best way? Any coping strategies would be really welcome as it may be that the meds won’t work for me this time.

With my best wishes,

sally

Okay, so, with depression, the best technique I've found is acceptance. Accept that you might not be able to do as much as normal, and forgive yourself for that.

Once you can get past the self-loathing, focus on what you can do and try to achieve small goals every day. You don't have to be happy, you just have to get through the day functioning at a bare minimum level.

When you've hit that point of acceptance, things often gradually start to lift on their own.

That sounds great. When you accept depression- is it ignoring it, or actually feeling it but not letting it bother you. Sorry I just want to make sure I do this correctly- no point doing it otherwise.

Thank you again BlueIris xxxx

I think it might be different for everyone? For me, though, it's giving myself permission to be sad, to make allowances for myself and ask for help from people around me when I need to.

For example, I might ask my husband to cook when it isn't his turn, or to do the talking in shops when I can't face doing so myself.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information