Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help... colonoscopy tomorrow and worried about sedation

Please help... colonoscopy tomorrow and worried about sedation

Hi all
    Me again... sorry.... starting my prep at 4 ready for colonoscopy tomorrow... as per my previous post my health anxiety is very severe I haven’t eaten hardly anything in 2 weeks or slept I am exhausted with worry... I have read up about sedative and the one used can cause respiratory depression and even death I am petrified now of having sedation.... I know I can just use gas and air but I don’t know if I will be able to get through it that way and I no way want to have to go through this again... are there any positive experiences from very anxious peaoplw please? Xx

Re: Please help... colonoscopy tomorrow and worried about sedation

I never have the sedation just sometimes gas and air.

I understand the sedation is mild and you will be monitored throughout so there is nothing to worry about.

Good luck.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks I’m just in turmoil at the moment luckily I have started CBT this week as the health anxiety is completely out of hand... maybe I will just go for the sedation I think I’m too anxious to just have gas and air x

I assume someone is going with you?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yeah my husband x

That's good then because you will need to have someone with you following sedation for 24 hours I think they say.

Colonoscopy.... UPDATE......

Good morning all,

Just wanted to check in and write about my colonoscopy which I had yesterday, want to provide an update for anyone following and possibly going through similar...

If you’ve read my posts on this you will see I have extreme health anxiety to the point that I barely ate or slept before this procedure for the whole 2 weeks as I was so so fearful about it, I was one of the most terrified patients they had ever had.

I’ll go through this step by step

1/ the prep - I was given moviprep orange flavour and had a lot of anxiety about taking this stuff due to driving myself mad looking up stories about it.... so, it’s not very nice there’s no getting away from it but it’s not horrific as some people say... my advice is take your time make sure it’s pre made up and chilled, I put lots of ice with mine and used a straw, for every few gulps I had I chased it with sprite, it tasted like overly sweet squash with a slightly salty after taste, certainly not like sea water like I read so please don’t think it is... it’s doable I promise and as I said I am the worst health anxiety patient there is.... mine worked after the first glass, I went to the loo a lot and although you need to be near the loo it’s not like you can’t hold it but when u need to go you go, wet wipes and Vaseline were on hand but I only used the Vaseline once. I felt tired taking it and a bit under the weather but nothing as bad as I thought. Managed a few hours sleep before my procedure.

2/ the procedure - I woke up at 3:30am and I was panicking really in a state as it’s the unknown, a bit like childbirth you just don’t know what to expect my appt wasn’t until 8 so it was a loooong morning of pure panic...got to the endoscopy centre the nurse did my admissions and I just burst into tears... telling her how frightened I was of the procedure of what they would find, basically what everyone is frightened of but my fear was over the top if you know what I mean.... the nurse was so kind and tried to reassure me but I wasn’t having any of it, she took me to a little room where I had to put on some blue shorts they went down to my knees with a little flap at the back... I was shaking.... immediately then I was told they were ready for me... went into the room sat on the bed and broke down again.. started panicking... the endoscopist explained everything to me as did the nurses they were so caring and actually wouldn’t do the procedure unless I had sedation ( 2mg Midazolam) this is a very very small dose they advised and would just take the panicky feeling away.... as soon as administered he advised he would start... I felt fine on the sedation like myself I could talk throughout felt wide awake just not so anxious... I watched the whole thing on the camera which I never in a million years thought I would be able to do! My bowel prep was good, partly because there wasn’t much to clear out as I hadn’t really eaten for 2 weeks ( I don’t advise this by the way at all! A 3 day low fibre diet before the prep will be enough) so the procedure itself I was advised the first 5 mins would be uncomfortable as the first part of Colon the sigmoid can be a bit loopy and they need to stretch it with air... my description of this is mild discomfort... for ladies I would say it’s like mild period pains, men I guess would be like trapped wind? Throughout the whole procedure it was very mild discomfort no pain just uncomfortable not at all like I feared or had read about... he took 3 biopsies for microscopic colitis which I didn’t feel whatsoever and then It was the very last part of the examination where they turn the camera slightly to look at something near the rectum this does not hurt at all but it does make you feel like you are going to poo... you definitely won’t he told me it’s just a feeling and it is... literally 1 minute... then it was done and I had hot chocolate and digestives!

I cried again after through sheer relief that it was done and went and got 2 tubs of chocolates for the staff as I was so elated lol!! If I ever had to have it done again I wouldn’t hesitate to have the sedation and it you are really anxious I would advise you to have it it helped so much! Left the centre went for a breakfast it was divine I felt like I had won the lottery! The thought of this procedure has ruined my life for the past 2 weeks it really has.... so to anyone scared to have it done my advice is stay off the internet! Some people delight in saying how bad something is to try and scare others, again a bit like childbirth! It truly isn’t anything like I or maybe you reading this is imagining..

I’m sorry for the long post but if this helps anyone out there I will be happy as I scoured all of the internet which was a silly thing to do the facts are so different! If you are getting a colonoscopy please don’t waste 2 weeks fretting and crying like I did, it honestly isn’t that bad and you will feel on top of the world when it’s done xxxxx

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Ah that’s a shame it’s been merged with this but I understand x

Well done

What were the results then? Nothing found?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information