Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Type 2 diabetes

Re: Type 2 diabetes

I joined a diabetes forum and on there they say you need to test to see what foods suit you and what doesn’t. So many people on there have said they have only got their HbA1c down though testing so I thought that would help. Maybe it’s causing me more problems

Well, it's certainly not helping your anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakebeansrule View Post
    I joined a diabetes forum and on there they say you need to test to see what foods suit you and what doesn’t. So many people on there have said they have only got their HbA1c down though testing so I thought that would help. Maybe it’s causing me more problems
    Personally I think that's nonsense. Refined carbs don't suit anybody. They may affect some a bit more than others, but too many of them will cause issues.

Having a McDonalds a couple of times a month isn't going to be an issue for somebody who's diabetes is reversed though, unless you allow that habit to be in addition to a pizza a week, cake, crisps etc etc.

There has to be a balance between your physical and mental health, and testing yourself after every potentially poor meal choice is going to be more problematic than the meal choice itself I think.

Thank you for these replies they really are helping I think maybe I should stay away from the diabetes forum for a little while.

What’s your thoughts on fruit? I mentioned it on there and was practically told I’m giving myself diabetes by eating it. I really miss it and have only had a few strawberries and blueberries since diagnosis. Plus I’m sure all the nutrients would outway the sugar and carbs?

Ive tried not eating breakfast before but I start work at 6.30 am and don’t get another chance to eat until 10 or sometimes later so by then I’m feeling weak and hungry. I have a manual
    Job and am on my feet all day

Quote Originally Posted by Bakebeansrule View Post

What’s your thoughts on fruit? I mentioned it on there and was practically told I’m giving myself diabetes by eating it. I really miss it and have only had a few strawberries and blueberries since diagnosis. Plus I’m sure all the nutrients would outway the sugar and carbs?
    Jesus these people are idiots.

IF....you ate 4 bananas and half a dozen mangos you are probably hampering your efforts to keep diabetes at bay, but the odd portion of berries and more is not going to be an issue.

The problem (as I see it) with most dietary advice these days is that the internet seems to be favouring a single way of eating. So you must be keto, or carnivore, or vegan etc etc. There's no common sense to any of it.

Processed food is what we all need to avoid, that is what causes the issues.

I do recall you mentioning the working hours before, but the single biggest thing you can do to improve your insulin response is to reduce your eating window as much as possible. Doesn't even have to be every day. Quite honestly not eating until lunchtime shouldn't even be an issue even starting that early. I rarely eat before 1-2pm and my day starts about an hour after yours. I don't even think about food. Your body is more than capable of carrying on as normal without topping up every 2-3 hours. You might be surprised how easy you find it after a few days.

I've been a terrible eater for few years now due to anxiety and depression making me seek comfort in bad food. Gained a bit of weight and I wonder if my eating has been detrimental and I get diabetes worries from time to time. I'm 31 and it's been going on for few years.
    Now I'm trying to get back to healthier ways and just eating normally, not going on any diets or really cutting out any one food group, just regular food and regular portions and limiting sodas as much as I can. I used to have a coke with every meal but now I'm having water instead and just a coke with maybe a movie or something like that.
    But this week I have been getting some itching sensation whenever I have a bit of sugar and I worry about it being a symptom of diabetes, right now it's in my scalp but it seems to go all over. It's not an intense itch or anything like that. I've never thought itching to be a symptom of diabetes except for neuropathy but wouldn't other symptoms show up before that? Cause I have NO other symptoms like frequent urination etc...
    Despite my weight gain I am active and I move around quite a bit so I dont have any mobility issues either.

Am I being just a worried idiot in wondering if this could be something related to diabetes when I dont have any of the common signs?

Quote Originally Posted by scared88 View Post
    Am I being just a worried idiot in wondering if this could be something related to diabetes when I dont have any of the common signs?
    Yes, you are.

Especially as I had none of the so-called tell-tale signs of diabetes but was diagnosed during a routine blood test in relation to my statins. I can point you at a chap of my acquaintance who can knock back over two litres of full-sugar coke a day, weighs in the region of 150 - 200kg and yet isn't even remotely diabetic.

I'm assuming you're not 120kg like myself (that's less than I was) but if you're concerned, ask your doctor for an OGTT.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Jesus these people are idiots.

IF....you ate 4 bananas and half a dozen mangos you are probably hampering your efforts to keep diabetes at bay, but the odd portion of berries and more is not going to be an issue.

The problem (as I see it) with most dietary advice these days is that the internet seems to be favouring a single way of eating. So you must be keto, or carnivore, or vegan etc etc. There's no common sense to any of it.
    For me, that's the biggest problem with the Interwebs: zealotry. And nowhere does it exhibit itself more than in areas of diet.

Advice to @bakebeansrule - bin the blood glucose monitor and bin that forum too. Fruit gives you diabetes, my arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Yes, you are.

Especially as I had none of the so-called tell-tale signs of diabetes but was diagnosed during a routine blood test in relation to my statins. I can point you at a chap of my acquaintance who can knock back over two litres of full-sugar coke a day, weighs in the region of 150 - 200kg and yet isn't even remotely diabetic.

I'm assuming you're not 120kg like myself (that's less than I was) but if you're concerned, ask your doctor for an OGTT.
    I'm 91kg and actually pretty stable at that weight. No drastic fluctuations. But why am I being a worried idiot about this if you yourself didn't have any of the common symptoms?
    But I do guess that I would be having common issues before any of the nerve damage takes place, that seems more like an end stage part of the disease rather than beginning.

Because I was told at 90kg I wouldn't even have diabetes.

The various -pathys (neuro/nephro/retino) happen late into the disease and even then, only when it's unmanaged. I can remember diabetics forty-odd years ago losing bits of their anatomy (toes, usually) or worse still, their lives because diabetes simply wasn't that well managed or indeed understood back in the 1970s.

If you don't believe me, that's fine. Make an appointment with your doctor and ask your doctor to screen you for diabetes. An OGTT should be a simple starter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information