Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Type 2 diabetes

Re: Type 2 diabetes

Thanks for the replies on here I’m going to take away some good information I will definitely be reading this again next time I have a wobble. This is a condition I know I have to live with forever and sometimes that’s really overwhelming but I understand now it’s totally manageable and there’s no reason for me to have any problems if I take care of myself (as a busy mum with a small family I often forget that) I need to follow the realistic guidelines set by my nurse and not people on the internet telling me I can never eat a carrot or potato again. My nurse told me that my HbA1c was 56 at diagnosis so loosing weight and just cutting out half of the chocolate, biscuits and potatoes etc would make a massive improvement to me but I went full on and cut everything out, while that’s helped me lose weight I don’t think it’s done my mental health any good. that’s really sad to say. Onwards and upwards from today . Thank you

There's sound advice on this thread; so yes, bookmark this thread in your browser and avoid the zealotry of some forums (!). It'll do you much better in the long run - you can't completely avoid carbohydrates anyway unless you're going to do something dumb like the carnivore diet (see elsewhere on this forum) but as has been the advice long before Internet 'experts' popped up; moderation is the key.

When I was diagnosed in 2014, my HbA1c was 74; it then fell to 55 before steadily climbing to 94 over a period of some 3.5 years and subsequently has fallen to its current 57. It's less than ideal I grant you and I can do something about that (it's just overcoming mental issues here that's the key issue); you've already knocked it back well under the target of <48 so well done, keep it up

I just want to add something else, and that is diabetes is not a condition or disease that happens TO you. You don't catch it like a cold. It's a bodily reaction to exposure to insulin based on what you eat. And the word exposure is the important one.

When you snack all day on high carb processed foods, you are exposing your body to increased insulin for a long time at high levels. If you fast 16 hours a day, only eat very low carb for lunch and then moderate complex carbs for dinner (sweet potato, new potato, lentils, even a bit of rice) then you're going to be fine. Even if you have chips or pizza once or twice a week. It's about how much over how long that causes the problem.

The only thing that really needs watching is sugar (in my opinion). Even then you can buy diabetic friendly chocolate (choco logic from tesco for example) to satisfy that odd craving now and again. My misses does a kick ass keto friendly shortbread for when I tried keto and you really can't tell.

I think psychologically cutting out options causes issues, and the history of diabetes treatment has been backwards. Instead of treating the cause they artificially treated the symptoms without addressing the only reason it happens in the first place (insulin).

Some good info here. I do think, however, that continued testing is important. It's the only way to know you are still on the right track. I agree that maybe cutting back though, and not becoming obsessive about it is probably better for mental health.

I'm type 2 also, my A1c was 106 in November 2018 and I did keto for 11 weeks and it dropped to 59. I continued with the keto until September last year but became really ill with feeling nauseous all the time. I have lost over three stone in weight since diagnosis . But in September i was that ill I started vomiting after food and one episode was so bad I collapsed and couldn't stand up my husband had to help me to bed . I decided that i had to stop the keto as it was that which was causing my sickness. The very next day I started eating normally but try and keep the carbs under 150 a day . I have small spoon of potato and a few slices of carrots . I even eat ginger nut biscuits and everyday after my evening meal I have two fresh cream eclairs . I have been getting readings of 5.3 in the mornings and during the day nearly always 7 and never over 8 .
    I had another A1c in November last year and it was down to 4
    6 , I was very happy with this . I wish i could reverse it but I still love sweet things and when I get really stressed that is when i over eat on the sweet foods .
    I do worry constantly that my A1c will rise again but I cannot eat the keto and be ill like i was I felt terrible .
    My GP said that at an A1c of
    59 I am not at anymore risk of getting health conditions as someone who doesn't have diabetes , that made me feel better for sure .
    At the moment I have swelling on my fingers and trigger finger on one finger, my index finger also went white and cold for a few moments but regained the colour , this really worries me and when i wake during the night and in the morning my hands are so stiff i have to massage them to stop the stiffness . I'm going to the doctors tomorrow because my finger is swollen and beginning to bend and is painful. I also have the same pain in my elbows knees and ankles and shoulders, I am suspecting rheumatoid arthritis even though i know I shouldn't self diagnose .
    I wanted to contribute to this thread though because my A1c was higher than the OP's and yet my GP encouraged me that i am at no more risk of any conditions related to diabetes so at least OP being reversed the condition you should be really over the moon , I know i would be .

Quote Originally Posted by BackRoads View Post
    Some good info here. I do think, however, that continued testing is important. It's the only way to know you are still on the right track. I agree that maybe cutting back though, and not becoming obsessive about it is probably better for mental health.
    In the uk we cannot get testing stips and lancets on the NHS for type 2 , we have to self fund and use private companies so many do not test.
    I do test because i worry i am getting high numbers . My husband doesn't test who is also type 2 . It's me that is the worrier I am terrible .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information