Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might get fired...

Might get fired...

I currently work two jobs: one during the day at a university and another evenings/weekends as a food delivery driver. Thankfully, my university job is safe (thank goodness) but my delivery position is in jeopardy. Long story short, Monday I ordered food to be delivered to me via this service. The food was never delivered, nor was it attempted to be - I was standing looking out my front door the entire time because I have to rush to put my dog away when someone comes to my house.

Understandably, I was upset as I feel like I put in 100% effort on the job and it really sucks that essentially someone stole my lunch. I was refunded, but still, so I contacted the company via DM on Twitter because there was no other way to really go about it as their customer relations avenues are extremely limited.

Anyway, I was told yesterday that I am suspended while they review the case and they've cleared out all of my shifts for this week, which sucks majorly because I was working a lot this week and really do need the money. My direct manager isn't back until tomorrow and will maybe get in touch with me then (I've been told) but I'm on pins and needles over this and I just want to know if I need to start looking for another job now.

They claimed that I "violated social media policy" but I read the handbook and I did NOT violate the policy, which is based mostly around not revealing customer information and not posting inside company information. I merely expressed my displeasure with the service I received.

Anyway, I just don't know what to do and I'm terrified. I can probably scrape by a bit until I find another job - thankfully delivery jobs aren't hard to find - but I've never been fired before and on top of that I feel like this is incredibly unjust. I really want to like email HR or something but I don't know if that's jumping the gun. I'd also like to know what they think ASAP so I can either apply for new jobs or know if I'm going to be working any of my shifts this week.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: Might get fired...

Argh- how ridiculous is that. It’s awful that you didn’t get your shopping. But - you have checked the contract and know your rights- so that is good. You can also contact the local CAB for a bit of free telephone advice if that helps too.

it’s the old age saying - worrying about it now won’t help you - but that is easier said than done. If you can distract yourself with a film/ rubbish gossipy tv or something else- that’ll be good but I know the wait is agonising.

Also, I think keeping in mind that if the worst happens- you can get a new job. Have you got your cv prepared for the new job etc. That will help if they do anything that upsets you. X

I'm so sorry; this is tremendously unfair of them. I hope it all turns out to be a misunderstanding.

Thank you. I still haven't heard anything and the waiting is absolute torture.

Would it be unprofessional to message my supervisor and ask her which way she thinks this is going to go so that I can apply for different jobs if I need to? I really don't want to be stressed over this for a week or potentially longer, and if I'm going to get fired anyway I might as well just start a new job soon.

I don't think it would be unprofessional, no, especially not if you get on reasonably well in the normal run of things.

Thank you. I'll now have to figure out what kind of message to send to her.

I hate myself right now. I should have just kept my mouth shut.

Oh no, please don't say you hate yourself for this! You had the right to do what you did. They are really over reacting to this in my opinion. I can understand, I worked in a hotel once and my Mam attended a wedding there and it was run shockingly back by the new events manger. When they catch wind my Mam did have 100 percent nice things to say about the place they kept cutting back my hours until I left the job. Some people can be very unlike- sorry for ranting but I'm sending positive thoughts your way xx

Don't hate yourself. From what you've said, you've done nothing wrong. You were a customer and surely you have every right to give feedback as a customer? As it was done by DM, I don't understand what their problem is. If you'd been slating the company all over social media I'd understand, but contacting the company privately as a paying customer who didn't receive what you'd paid for? I really don't think it's your fault. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks, all. I contacted my manager, who was gone at the time but is back now, and she said that it's basically in the hands of HR. They'll let me know something by the end of the day, so I'm struggling to make it through the afternoon.

She did sent me a message asking what happened to try to understand - like why didn't I contact customer service (their chat/email feature was down, which I told her) or why didn't I just message her (didn't really think her involvement was necessary since I was acting as a customer). I told her that the only way I could get in touch with the company was via social media and I did it discreetly, I just wanted them to know that I was upset because I know what channels they are supposed to go to if, as a driver, they can't make contact with the customer - and I follow those rules so I was upset that it is okay for someone else not to.

Anyway, I appreciate the support. Currently scared stiff.

EDIT: Well thankfully my manager is understanding. I basically got a warning, even though HR determined I didn't violate any terms, I still got the warning and they're going to "try to get me back on the schedule" which means 2 weeks of no pay, basically. Better than being fired though I guess!
    Last edited by .Poppy.; 14-11-19 at 21:33.

Who decided you got a warning? If HR said you did nothing wrong?? But I am pleased to see that the matter is pretty much resolved x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information