Thread: New job

New job

I have transferred to a different shop but struggling to deal with the change. My days off are different I have to work late. I felt I needed a change sure there is some pros about this job but I was 4 years in the last store so it’s been a big change. Anybody got any tips? Stuff changes but it was me who made the change was I right to do so? The new job is closer to home

Re: New job

Hi
    last year I decided to change job after 10 years being with the company I was working for. I felt I needed change & new challenge ... I got more than what I bargained for. It took me good 6 months to get used to my new job & routine, but it’s ok now. So I think you made a right decision to change job, because if you were happy it wouldn’t cross your mind in the first place. Good luck

Temporary admin closure

Update

Things had been going fine but lately the supervisors are never off my back. Moaning how I open boxes or moan I am not going fast enough despite working at a decent pace seems they are picking on me there is ones in there who stand and talk all day it seems perhaps they want to pick on the quiet ones?

Far more to this than you are truthfully telling here Phil. So, what happened with management after you fell out with them in week one ? Remember - the incident with your mobile phone that you were caught using all the time and then refused to put away in the locker. The thread was a long one and you seemed to have no ability to grasp that it wasn't your right to have your phone with you all day, using it for social media.

Moaning how I open boxes or moan I am not going fast enough despite working at a decent pace seems they are picking on me there is ones in there who stand and talk all day it seems perhaps they want to pick on the quiet ones?
    Or maybe you aren't following their instructions ? Maybe you are refusing to adhere to working practices they want you to adhere to ? You stated at your old job that you were being 'picked on' too, by the managers, can recall it quite clearly. So, I suggest to you that people aren't just going around picking on you, and that they have legitimate points.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Far more to this than you are truthfully telling here Phil. So, what happened with management after you fell out with them in week one ? Remember - the incident with your mobile phone that you were caught using all the time and then refused to put away in the locker. The thread was a long one and you seemed to have no ability to grasp that it wasn't your right to have your phone with you all day, using it for social media.

Or maybe you aren't following their instructions ? Maybe you are refusing to adhere to working practices they want you to adhere to ? You stated at your old job that you were being 'picked on' too, by the managers, can recall it quite clearly. So, I suggest to you that people aren't just going around picking on you, and that they have legitimate points.
    I don’t have my phone on me it’s at home.

and no I do work away hard don’t stop for chats but I am finding they are on my back constant I have no idea why I mean I heard head office were getting on at the supervisors often this makes supervisors more annoyed? Problem is I have not felt relaxed all night due to work so it’s no good when you come home feeling like this. And yes I did have problems before as again I had a small minority take a dislike to me but that’s all it takes a work place of say 30 you can get on fine but one or two can make your life awful?

If the supervisors are getting squeezed to increase output then naturally some of that frustration can travel downwards. It doesn't give them licence to give people shit just for the sake of it though but being human we can all have a bad day. If it's productivity then they might be on everyone's back.

You might find you are under monitoring because of the event with your mobile phone and outburst at your boss which meant someone higher had to deal with you. This means you should be squeaky clean for a time so they see you aren't problematic (especially as a new person).

Perhaps you could suggest a meeting to ask about your performance?
    And yes, I recommend doing everything completely by the book for a while and keeping your head down.

Anxiety can often make you more sensitive to criticism or more nervous that you are in trouble. That’s why asking for a meeting to discuss your performance might benefit you all.

I have a motto at work I impart to the younger people when I hear them griping (not saying you're griping) about this or that - Just keep coming in. In other words 95% of the "stuff" that goes on at work doesn't mean much. If a supervisor is a jerk you're not the only one who thinks it...and there's always one at most places.

Woody Allen said 90% of success is just showing up.

It's never easy starting at a new place but giving it a good honest try may pay off for you in the long run.

Good luck.

N.

Thread Information