Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waves of anxiety

Waves of anxiety

Hi all
    I am 7 weeks in on medication and 4 and a half on a therapeutic dose. I am also on lorazepam. I have been feeling better this past week but I am experimenting with taking the lorazepam less and when I haven’t taken it I still get random waves of anxiety out of nowhere - is I haven’t been thinking anxious thoughts. Is this normal? Should this have gone away by now?
    Many thanks

Re: Waves of anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by Windywel View Post
    Hi all
    I am 7 weeks in on medication and 4 and a half on a therapeutic dose. I am also on lorazepam. I have been feeling better this past week but I am experimenting with taking the lorazepam less and when I haven’t taken it I still get random waves of anxiety out of nowhere - is I haven’t been thinking anxious thoughts. Is this normal? Should this have gone away by now?
    Many thanks
    I’m not sure what lorazepam does - is it an anti anxiety med? Is it only for short term use - is that why you are coming off of it?

The only help I can recommend is Claire Weeks- today I listened to her you tube and it made me feel so much better. https://youtu.be/REOdAWCv-BQ

Good to see you have been feeling better though xxxx

Snap! I listened to that this morning too! That’s the thing isn’t it. To just feel the feelings and not be afraid. Funny thing is that it don’t mind the ongoing bsckground anxiety it’s the intense waves out of nowhere that I hate! Yes lorazepam is the same is diazepam - it’s a benzo so anti- anxiety. Wish I could just stay on it until I am better but they don’t like you to be on it for me than a few weeks as it can cause withdrawal issues. I am on a low dose tho. I am trying to just take it once today instead of twice but also have PMT so might not be such a good idea. Anyway I am going to yoga now xx

I think too that we need to get to a point where we have the energy and determination to help ourselves. That’s where the lorazepam has helped me - to get a bit more perspective and not feel so consumed by the feelings all the time. I have so much respect for you getting to where you are without it xx

Well the morning turned out to be a complete disaster! Recovered ok from the brief anxiety wave first thing but then went to yoga felt anxious all the way through and then we did breath work at the end and that set off my shortness of breath thing so I got more anxious and now having a panic attack. Crying, shaky not able to breathe properly - the whole works! Had to take the lorazepam but clearly it was masking a whole lot and now I think that the citalopram hasn’t been working at all

Told my psychiatrist about the dramas this morning and he said to go up to 30 and try it for 2 weeks and if no significant improvement he would switch to something else. Seems pretty soon to me? Scares me because of all the implications - ie this one didn’t work, next one mightn’t etc etc
    started off feeling pretty positive this morning but now at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Lost all motivation and feeling really down again

Aw Windywel- I am so sorry. When I read your messages it’s clear to me how much you hate the anxiety- and it’s understandable as it is so uncomfortable- especially the panic attacks- waves. But remember the more you hate the anxiety the stronger you will feel it. I know it’s hard- but as CLAIRE Weeks says you have to get to a point where you say do your worst anxiety. Have you ever lay or sat there and tried to make your anxiety worse? Have you said do your worst? See what happens and let me know.

it will get better it’s a matter of when and not if it will get better xxxx

And that’s when I think they yoga was bad because you wanted it to just take away the anxiety. I get the breathing thing too- it’s like I am judging it- but breathing is never perfect. Your body will breath the way it wants no matter what. And when you are asleep you never stop breathing. It’s about noticing your breathing without judging it- easier said than done x

Yes - the problem at the moment is that I should t have done the yoga breathing as what I need to do is not focus on my breathing, as focussing on it makes the shortness of breath thing come. Yes I have just let it wash over me - usually do. I haven’t had a proper panic attack for a while it was just the not being able to catch my breath that made me really panicky and when it’s like that it’s hard to do the ‘do your worst thing’. I have been better at dealing with it it was just a whole lot of things together that conspired to make it a perfect storm. Period due tomorrow, not taking the lorazepam this morning, worrying about how that was going to go and then having the panic attack making me think all my wurst thoughts had come true (ie citalopram not doing anything, only lorazepam making me feel better). And for some weird reason I’m always bad on Fridays!! It’s been about 4 weeks now that I’ve been more tearful depressed and anxious on Friday,

Quote Originally Posted by Windywel View Post
    Yes - the problem at the moment is that I should t have done the yoga breathing as what I need to do is not focus on my breathing, as focussing on it makes the shortness of breath thing come. Yes I have just let it wash over me - usually do. I haven’t had a proper panic attack for a while it was just the not being able to catch my breath that made me really panicky and when it’s like that it’s hard to do the ‘do your worst thing’. I have been better at dealing with it it was just a whole lot of things together that conspired to make it a perfect storm. Period due tomorrow, not taking the lorazepam this morning, worrying about how that was going to go and then having the panic attack making me think all my wurst thoughts had come true (ie citalopram not doing anything, only lorazepam making me feel better). And for some weird reason I’m always bad on Fridays!! It’s been about 4 weeks now that I’ve been more tearful depressed and anxious on Friday,
    it sounds like anticipatory anxiety- the knowing that it is likely to happen on a Friday almost brings it on. The knowing that you are not taking lorazepam- brings it on. The citalopram may be working but you could be not giving it a chance.

I totally understand the breathing thing as I get it too and do the same- but I get to the stage where I just think- well you are going to be like that- I am going to carry on without you and that is when it goes xxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information