Thread: Fear of medication

Fear of medication

My cardiologist gave me a script for a pill to take when I'm having palps but I'm afraid to take it. I've always had a fear of taking medication be cause I had a bad reaction to a muscle relaxer before. It made me feel horrible and I thought I was going to die. .I don't remember the name of it but it started with a V. I trust my dr but theres a warning on the bottle that says may cause dizziness. So knowing myself well enough I will feel dizzy regardless now. How do I get over this fear and take the meds that can help me?

Re: Fear of medication

Is it a beta blocker that he gave you? If your BP is low you could have some mild dizziness but it won’t last and it probably won’t happen. Those warnings are for the 1-2% of people it could happen to. Beta blockers do help with palps. I take one every day. Try sitting down or take at night. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it called Verapamil? If so it's a calcium channel blocker. This was actually the very first medication I was given for my arrythmia's. I didn't have any side effects from it but I was only on it for about 3 months before I was switched to a beta blocker and finally an anti arrythmia medication because the others didn't really work for me.

It can cause dizziness because it lowers your blood pressure but just because it says it can doesn't mean it will. Take it at night before bed as suggested by roseanxiety (I have done this with a few medications that I was either afraid to take or caused me side effects) and try to avoid standing to quickly after you have been sitting or lying down for a bit.

The V..might be Valium I had it when I hurt my back,it was to help relax the muscles relax and it made me light headed,but it sure did help.

I dont know many cardiologists that prescribe valium though

I read the bit about muscle relaxer and fort of Valium,it starts with a V..

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1 View Post
    I read the bit about muscle relaxer and fort of Valium,it starts with a V..
    It could very well be Valium. I was just saying Valium really isnt a medication that is prescribed by cardiology plus OP didnt say the medication given was a muscle relaxer but that they were afraid of taking any new medications because the reaction they had to a muscle relaxer. I still vote the medication is more likely Verapamil as this is used to treat high blood pressure and also palpitations. It's a common first try medication and prescribed mostly by cardiology. Valium is more commonly used to treat anxiety and panic attacks. Yes it can be used as a muscle relaxer but given that it's a controlled substance most drs tend to prescribe something different if a muscle relaxer is needed.

Yes I know how Valium works x.

Thread Information