Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline and co codamol

Re: Sertraline and co codamol

Well i went to my gp today and had the results if my blood yest. Looks like i have an over active thyroid again and they have prescribed me propanalol 40mg to ease my symptoms (sweating, plapatations, on edge, shakes etc) and once that has settled in a couple of weeks i can think about upping my dose of sertraline. And ive asked to see a councillor to talk thru my issues and worries.

Fingers crossed the propanalol helps!!!
    Nick

Well the propranalol isnt really doing anything, spending most of the days with severe anxiety!
    Really struggling at the moment so have decided to increase the sertraline slowly, started on 62.5 last week and will go to 75mg this week.
    Fingers crossed the increase will help
    Any words of advice??

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by wareing77 View Post
    Well the propranalol isnt really doing anything, spending most of the days with severe anxiety!
    Not helping with the hyperthyroid symptoms, anxiety, or both, Nick? If for the symptoms then maybe the dose is inadequate.

Beta-blockers don't actually ease anxiety, per se, just block/reduce the adrenaline surge symptoms of the flight-or-fight response which can really spook people. This can sometimes be enough, but some need a med which directly address anxiety. Either way, I think you need to get back to the GP asap.

Really struggling at the moment so have decided to increase the sertraline slowly, started on 62.5 last week and will go to 75mg this week.
    Fingers crossed the increase will help
    Any words of advice??
    The increased dose should help, but be aware it may take some time for this to become apparent. ADs are not quick acting meds. Which is why I've suggested seeing your GP asap. The sooner your anxiety levels are bought under control the better.

Well it seems to have stopped the sweatting and shakes n stuff but the anxiety is back constantly. Exactly like when i first started the sertraline and feels like side effects?
    Had a phone appointment with the gp earlier and she wants me to go straight up to 100mg and has given me a couple of sleeping tablets just in case. She said to stick to the 40mg of propranalol and see how it goes. Seeing her again next week. Just really struggling in work at the mo but dont want to take any time off as its a slippery slope

Thanks

Nick.

Well it seems to have stopped the sweatting and shakes n stuff but the anxiety is back constantly. Exactly like when i first started the sertraline and feels like side effects?
    As per my previous post, the beta-blockers don't directly address anxiety, only block some of its effects. A small dose of mirtazapine might do the trick. It would also help with insomnia.

Had a phone appointment with the gp earlier and she wants me to go straight up to 100mg and has given me a couple of sleeping tablets just in case.
    Increasing the sertraline dose is your best/easiest option. Just be aware that it will take some weeks for the higher dose to become effective, and I suggest you ask your GP if you can only increase it by 25mg for the first week to limit a potential spike in side-effects.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    As per my previous post, the beta-blockers don't directly address anxiety, only block some of its effects. A small dose of mirtazapine might do the trick. It would also help with insomnia.
    Im not sure mirtazapine is much good for me, i was on it before i started sertraline and i felt like a bit of a zombie on it. Im pretty sure my dr said i couldnt take them both at the same time either?

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Increasing the sertraline dose is your best/easiest option. Just be aware that it will take some weeks for the higher dose to become effective, and I suggest you ask your GP if you can only increase it by 25mg for the first week to limit a potential spike in side-effects.
    Ye ive started on 75 now so i hope this will start to work without too many side effects.

I take the sertraline first thing in the morning and am pretty rough all day but usually settle down a bit by the evening.
    I slept ok last nite, quite a bit of waking and lots of wierd dreams but not too bad.

Nick

Im not sure mirtazapine is much good for me, i was on it before i started sertraline and i felt like a bit of a zombie on it. Im pretty sure my dr said i couldnt take them both at the same time either?
    I assume you were on a high dose as the primary med, but I'm suggesting a lower one, maybe 15mg just to sedate you a bit. That is pretty much how mirtazapine works, by sedation.

I'm guessing your GP is concerned about serotonin syndrome/toxicity because some medical literature claims this. It is wrong. Not my opinion, but that of arguably the world's leading SS/ST expert, Dr Ken Gillman:

As I have pointed out before, drugs like bupropion and mirtazapine, that have no significant serotonergic activity, are no more likely to cause ST than is vitamin C. This scenario has already been enacted, over a decade, with the antidepressant mirtazapine, which was claimed, erroneously, to have serotonergic activity. Many poor quality case reports of ST with mirtazapine were published. This probably led to misdirected treatment of overdoses, some of which may have caused morbidity. It took several reviews to correct this error and establish that mirtazapine cannot cause ST

PK Gillman, 2010 PDF

Moreover, mirtazapine is a serotonin 5-HT2a receptor antagonist (blocker) which can prevent the body temperature spike which does the damage in SS/ST although in humans the recommended treatments are the more potent 5-HT2a antagonists cyproheptadine and chlorpromazine.

Unfortunately, some drug interaction list compilers still haven't received the message.

Ye ive started on 75 now so i hope this will start to work without too many side effects.

I take the sertraline first thing in the morning and am pretty rough all day but usually settle down a bit by the evening.
    I slept ok last nite, quite a bit of waking and lots of wierd dreams but not too bad.
    You could try switching to taking it at night. This seems to work for some. Weird dreams are not uncommon with most ADs. I suspect that they don't actually cause them, just lighten the dream state so they are more likely to be exposed to consciousness, i.e. most of our dreams are weird, we just don't usually remember them. I used to have some really great ones when on imipramine. The full Hollywood extravagancer in widescreen Technicolor. Even after about 25 years I still miss them (clearly I have no life).

Sorry to hijack the post... so is it quite safe to take codein with likes of setralin/ Citalopram AD’s . I got mine prescribed for back pain and only take it when I m in agony, but since I have been on Citalopram didn’t dare to take any codein.

Quote Originally Posted by keta View Post
    Sorry to hijack the post... so is it quite safe to take codein with likes of setralin/ Citalopram AD’s . I got mine prescribed for back pain and only take it when I m in agony, but since I have been on Citalopram didn’t dare to take any codein.
    Definately safe to take while on sertraline (not sure about citalopram) as id told the surgeon that i was on sertraline and he prescribed the co codamol. Think the only issue was with ibuprofen, i think every now and again is ok but not continuous use.

Check with your dr or pharmacist if you are unsure

Nick

Well its been a week at 75mg now and still suffering. Not sure if im any better than i was or not, getting a bit annoyed with the continuous anxiety and bad guts!
    I think the propranalol might actually be working because i seem to be better for the morning after i take 40mg but then get a bit worse towards the afternoon. Im wondering if i should be taking more than just the 1 dose in the morning?
    Nick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information