Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little voice in my head

A little voice in my head

Hey everyone!

I keep getting this little voice in my head (not literally a voice i can hear but its like my mind speaking if that makes any sense) telling me that if i dont do something, something bad will happen.

E.g. If i dont finish my work by a certain time then my boyfriend will die today or If someone doesnt get back before i finish washing up then im going to die.

I dont understand what this is, is this a form of OCD?

Sorry, i know im a bit slow

Stacey

Re: A little voice in my head

Hi stacey

I think this is a form of OCD, i say that because i'm sometimes the same.............. for example

if i stand on a chair i have to get off and get on it again

If i touch something unusual i have to touch it again

etc etc etc or i think something will happen to ME.

I have never ever told anyone this, you are the first person i have told, i don't want to be thought of as a nutter!!! oh i know i wouldn't be but thats my way of thinking.

I don't know what i can say to make you feel any better as i haven't done anything about it myself. Just wanted to reassure you that you're not the only one love......... not that that helps.
    maybe some other members will be able to give both of us a bit of advice hey??

It certainly sounds like OCD to me too. I had never realised until recent years that I had a bit of OCD. When I had my son nearly 30yrs ago I developed a habit of having to put all his toys away in a certain way. If I didn't put them back 'just right' then I thought something bad would happen. To some extent I still have it, but it's not bad enough to interfere with my daily life so I don't really consider it a problem now.

I think there is quite often an overlap with anxiety disorders and although we may have one main problem, mine being agoraphobia, it's quite common to overlap into a different one too.

So my suspicions were right, thanks guys!

How do i control these thoughts?

It feels me with dread and utter fear if i disobey what they tell me

Change the thoughts and their meaning.

Make them irrelevant and have no power

You have to think of other things

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I used to be like that when i was younger, i had to clean things the right way, do things a certain number of times, get out the house before the toilet stopped flushing etc. I found that when i had kids i was too busy to carry out so many rituals and eventually i realised that when i didnt' 'do' something it made no difference at all (except my house is a tip all the time )
    I still have some odd ways but nothing compared to then.

anx xx

I never thought i hade this but i think i may?? i always lock my car door and once iv done it i have to keep going back to make sure i did?? it drives me crackers because i know i have locked it, but i would go loopy if i didnt check and double check, i must walk back to it at least 3 times... i also have athing with crumbes in the bed.... i know it sounds funny, but im sure i spend most nights trying to brush them out, it drives me loopy.

I think it's a good thing to remember that even so called "normal" people have rituals etc. too. There are lots of famous people, one for example is David Beckham, I can't recall what his rituals are but I have read about them. I bet there are millions of people out there who have odd little quirks.

My partner, for example, who doesn't have anxiety, is in the habit of always double checking if the doors are locked when we go out and when we go to bed. It doesn't matter how many times I tell him I have already checked, he just has to go and check himself. I bet if you ask around you will be amazed how many people you know have habits like this.

These responses have really helped me, thank you so much.

I just wish i can get a grip on things, im scared of my own thoughts.

hi. i am exactly the same, if not worse! i also hear a voice in my head (not an actual voice ofcourse!) telling me to do things such as if i am filling a cup up with water i have to do it four times before i drink it! or if im locking a door i have to check it four times! also sometimes if im doing something i have to be finished by a certian amount of time or i think that something bad will happen. and if im watching tv or listening to music the volumes has to be an an even number! i realy want to know why i am like this coz sometimes it can be realy annoying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information