Thread: Colon Worries

Colon Worries

Hi all, I use to use this forum a while ago for different fears of different illnesses. For a little back story, I've thought i've had many cancers before. I am a 21 year old female in my first year transferred to a university. Through my pass i've had horrible headaches, as soon as I got a clear CT they went away. I've thought I had liver cancer, with rib pain, as soon as they confirmed I didn't it went away. So i thought to myself, maybe i'm making these symptoms up, since they go away immediately after being confirmed they aren't sinister. So, in June, I was having knee pain for weeks, it would wake me up and I was certain it was cancer of the bone, then one day(TMI) I had blood after wiping a stool and the knee pain went away, thus began my new fear, one which is a symptom I cannot make up. Colon cancer. I spoke to a gastro. doctor who confirmed due to having a big stool I probably had a hemorrhoid, I haven't bled since, however, starting on and since that day, my stomach has been having on and off stomach aches relieved by a stool and occasional mucus. I know I am not making this symptom up as you can actually see it this time. Now my doctor has no trust in me and I feel trapped and depressed. Any advice? Can stress really cause mucus? stomach aches? weight gain?

Re: Colon Worries

Anxiety can and does cause all kinds of symptoms... a little mucous in the stool is a common finding though and shouldn't be a cause for concern.

What you describe with having symptoms, getting the all clear and the symptoms immediately going away is common with health anxiety.
    Last edited by Careful1; 18-11-19 at 08:01.

Re: Colon Worries

Yes anxiety can cause stomach issues, I get them myself when anxious and stressed. As the stomach gets upset it can cause bowel motions to pass more frequently which can cause more mucus than normal. Anal fissures can cause bleeding (with pain too).

I agree that most of your issues are caused by stress/anxiety.

Thread Information