Thread: Absolutely spiraling

Absolutely spiraling

I havent posted here in a while but I didnt know where else to vent where people would really understand my thought process. So last Tuesday I went to the dermatologist and had a few spots taken off. Usually I hear back within a few days. I've had dysplastic nevus a few times, which are pre cancerous cells, and have had a few surgeries because of them. So being that I havent heard anything I decided to call. They told me that they had sent my biopsy off for a second opinion to a local pathologist. I am absolutely panicking. For one, they have NEVER had to send my biopsies off for a second opinion. Also, my dad was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma last year. So my anxiety brain is telling me that with all things considered, that's what I have. And it's on my upper back so I'm thinking that it's probably spread to my vital organs! I'm aware that's a bit far fetched but I know it happens. I'm just in a panic and I know I will be until I get the results. Any comforting words would be greatly appreciated :(

Re: Absolutely spiraling

Some anxiety in this situation is to be expected. There is no sugar coating that your slide is probably in a grey area, and you have no choice but to wait to see what the final determination is. Limbo land sucks, especially when you have HA.

If you are looking for the bright side- if it was clearly advanced cancer, they would know that without needing a second opinion. Cancer cells are going to divide quickly and will have certain characteristics. Your pathologist is not sure if s/he is seeing those features or not. Another person is weighing in. All of that is good because it still might not be cancer and, if it is, at the early stage of cellular change and likely to be in situ.

It is all going to be ok! Even if you get the news nobody wants, you will handle it! It could still be good news, though!! You got this!!!

Great post NervUs

Thank you NervUs! While the waiting was absolutely paralyzing for me, I did get some not so bad results today! My biopsy did come back as very severe dysplastic nevus. So I will have to have surgery Tuesday to take the remaining cells out and to make sure the margins are clear. But I have had 2 of these surgeries in the past so I'm basically a veteran! Lol! Hate that they weren't clean results but it absolutely could have been much worse! Thanks so much for the input!!

Hey, that's the news we wanted. You knew there was something going on and, if it has to be something, severely dysplastic is IT!!!

Thread Information