Thread: Please help I'm having a massive panic

Please help I'm having a massive panic

Last week I was getting a funny pain in my lower leg. I tried to ignore my anxiety worrying whether it was a DVT but I ended up in a right mess yesterday. At my lunch break at work I felt a bit tight chested so I panicked and checked my pulse and it was racing. I immediately thought it's a blood clot that's gone to my lung. My resting heart rate is between around 62 - 74 and yesterday for the whole afternoon it was around 80. It never came down. It went down to about 70 after a couple of hours of being home. I went to see my dr today who I trust. I explained it all and she measured my legs etc. no sign of a DVT plus no risk factors not concerned. I told her about my racey heart and she listened and said it is going faster than average but chest is clear. She said almost certain no blood clot on my lung.

I'm in work now but still really anxious and on edge. I work in a medical negligence law firm so I read all sorts and just last week a report on a misdiagnosed blood clot and he presented with a fast heart rate!

My chest still feels uncomfortable and I have some pain in my upper back and I kept feeling as though I needed to take a deep breath. Does this sound like anxiety? I'm not short of breath but it feels an effort to breathe but I've had a similar thing when I've been anxious before. My heart rate is still raised and that's what's worrying me in case it's because there's an underlying problem. I keep checking it and it doesn't calm down. For background I am about stressed at the moment. I've just returned to work after 10 months maternity leave and it's a long day and stressful commute. Plus my baby wakes up 2 - 3 times during the night so I'm getting little sleep.

I think what I'm asking is, can all these pains and my fast heartbeat be anxiety? Can my fast pulse be sustained if I'm still anxious even if it feels like I've tried to calm myself down?

Thanks

Re: Please help I'm having a massive panic

Without beta blockers my resting heart rate was usually high 80s-90s it wasn’t uncommon for me to be at just under or even just over 100bpm at pretty much all times unless I was sleeping.

Anxiety isn’t just an on or off type situation, it can be very consistent even if your not having excessively anxious thoughts.

Positive vibes,

Mouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

You're panicking about literally nothing here. You are imagining a terrible situation based on a completely benign symptom. A heart rate of 80 is literally nothing to worry about, your heart rate can jump 20 just by standing up.

You are over monitoring completely normal bodily functions.

Furthermore, anxiety in itself is capable of doubling your usual 'resting' heart rate, so it sitting at 80bpm is less than nothing to be concerned about. If anything, that's very low for somebody feeling anxious.

This is about your perception of a problem, not an actual problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyskye View Post
    1. My resting heart rate is between around 62 - 74 and yesterday for the whole afternoon it was around 80. It never came down. I keep checking it and it doesn't calm down.

2. I went to see my dr today who I trust.

3. I work in a medical negligence law firm
    1. You're out of control, unless you're in the hospital. NO self testing.

2. What does "trust" mean to you?

3. Certainly not the best place for someone with HA. If you had a fear of heights, would you work somewhere that required you to be on an extension ladder? No joke, if you can't reel it in, find another job.

What are you willing to do to help yourself?

I agree with Joe, in everything written. 80 is not even a fast heart rate, for many people that is a completely standard resting heartrate !

I keep checking it and it doesn't calm down.
    Well it wouldn't would it! Every time you check, and find its still 'fast' you release a bit more adrenaline and it stays 'fast' - and so the cycle continues. Whilst fear is your main focus, your heart rate will remain higher than usual. I've personally had mine sutained for hours and hours at 120 bpm in the past with panic attacks and anxiety - and over 140 bmp at the height of adrenaline release.
    Last edited by Carys; 21-11-19 at 14:53.

Thank you for your replies I really appreciate it because when I am in the midst of a panic I can't think clearly at all. I've been getting a twingey muscle kind of strain/ache in one side of my stomach which also bothers me. All my muscles feel quite achy at the moment. Is it possible to get this from anxiety/adrenaline build up and also lots of broken sleep?

Thank you for your replies I really appreciate it because when I am in the midst of a panic I can't think clearly at all. I've been getting a twingey muscle kind of strain/ache in one side of my stomach which also bothers me. All my muscles feel quite achy at the moment. Is it possible to get this from anxiety/adrenaline build up and also lots of broken sleep?
    In a word, yes.

Tension in muscles because of the continuous fight or flight situation your mind feels it’s in. Coiled ready to fight or run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Is it possible to get this from anxiety/adrenaline build up and also lots of broken sleep?
    That's the least it can do!

I once spent 48 hours in A&E with a heart rate of over 120bpm just because of adrenaline/stress.

What you need to do is stop obsessing over trivial symptoms like twinges or stomach aches. Anxiety can create thousands of symptoms so you're better off focusing on dealing with the anxiety, not every single sensation that comes along.

A normal heart rate is between 60 and 100 beats per minute so your panicking for no reason and yes anxiety certainly can cause your symptoms.

Thread Information