Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Extroduction

Re: Extroduction

There's a saying in the circles I move in within the UK, which is that tech will never replace teachers, but that technically literate teachers will replace those that aren't.

Overly optimistic? Possibly, but teaching is such an intimate act that I genuinely think it would be very hard to replace. What I'm mostly seeing these days are people at the cutting edge of the profession finding new ways to engage and excite their learners. I'm thrilled to play a part in it, if only from the periphery.

I think the lockdown proves that we won't be replaced. If everyone could learn from reading something or watching a video, then we would be replaced. But that doesn't happen. Look how many kids still needed their teachers or parents to instruct them. Content can be learned more easily through reading and videos, but skills cannot. Learning a skill requires watching, tutoring and appropriate feedback, and that's hard to receive without some form of mentor or teacher.

The quicker teachers are replaced with robots the better. AI will be less brainwashed than some of these teachers so less effective at indoctrinating children with Oligarchical propaganda. Ultimately, if you don't want your kids to become programmed zombies then home school them. I'm hearing more and more parents are doing that as they see what's on the horizon. Maybe, that's one positive thing to come out of this whole "pandemic".

I suppose these levels of misanthropy and paranoia are to be expected on an anxiety board, but they sadden me nevertheless.

I'm going to carry on trying to approach the world with kindness, though, as far as I'm able.

Hollow, anything can be "programmed". I would say it's highly more likely that the AI interface that you want to teach our youth become more easily corrupted than millions of teachers who can think for themselves. In fact, you're setting up the world for more brainwashing. Also, most parents who use home-school materials can easily be brainwashed as well, as most of them buy materials from the same churches and at-home school material companies. The home-schooled children are also less likely to encounter individuals who are different than them, so they are less likely to consider and learn about different perspectives.

Yes, there are some shitty teachers out there. Statistically, I think it's impossible not to have them. There are shitty doctors, mechanics, therapists, etc. You get it.

Really though, you should be friends with us teachers. We are very educated. In my state alone, you can't teach with less than eight years of higher education, and each year we are required to put in so many hours of continued education. We're the ones encouraging youth to think outside of the box and learn to think for themselves. Education is the key to not being brainwashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Ms Iris & Ms Vee – replies from different perspectives, both arriving at the same conclusion. I hope your optimism is born out over time: everyone remembers a good (or bad) teacher; but an electronically-generated interface….?

Just returning to qwerty-keyboard skills replacing cursive writing – aren’t they already becoming obsolete through the adoption of voice commands/voice-to-text applications?

The lockdown seems to have shown that some children won’t apply themselves to anything that looks like learning in the absence of someone with authority’s beady eye on them. Perhaps a virtual classroom would have virtual corporal punishment – Milgram-like shock treatment administered by a computer. Pavlov’s dogs? The Manchurian Candidate? I apologise – I’m digressing and tiptoeing on to other NMP posters’ preserves.

My state really shot themselves in the foot, so to speak, when the lockdown happened. They said that the work that the kids produced would be counted as enrichment, and no one would get a failing grade. So of course kids weren't going to do their work. I had a parent tell me that they weren't going to make their child do the work that didn't count for anything. They were going to take their kid to work with them, to show them how it was to work at manual labor all day long, so that they would appreciate getting an education when it counted again. I can't say I blame them.

Positive reinforcement usually works a lot better than punishment. Yes, we need punishments, but usually natural consequences take care of those. But if the school system takes away my ability to give positive reinforcement, then it's hard to function.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information