Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it normal to wake in morning with a feeling of dread / impending doom?

Re: Is it normal to wake in morning with a feeling of dread / impending doom?

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    Recently, I’ve been more nostalgic for preCovid times and feel sad thinking about what like used to be like. I was reminiscing with an old friend the other day because I put him as a personal reference and we were trying to figure out how many years we’d been friends. And then we were trying to figure out when/how we actually became friends. All our memories were one event or another - taking a bus trip to see a show, going to a lecture. And it was all while we were in college 20+ years ago. It got me thinking about the low level buzz or fear that I think Covid will keep imposing on everything we do and it made me so sad. I know it’s not useful to dwell on these things, but sometimes it’s hard to keep them from bubbling up!
    While I'm not specifically fearful of Covid myself of late, I think a lot of us have got into the habit of being excessively fearful ever since, even though such trends were already becoming apparent pre-pandemic (over various other issues, obviously).

Also I think the media right now are having to find more 'scary' stuff to report on in order to fill the void left by extensive reporting on the Covid pandemic from early 2020 through approximately the early spring of 2022.

Like I said upthread earlier today, I think we should appreciate more the freedoms we're currently enjoying once again that we were basically robbed of during all the Covid lockdowns/restrictions, and indeed make the best of what's currently within our control.

Yes as others have said regarding cortisol. I’ve read (and know from experience) that while it makes you feel like you don’t want to get up, the worst thing you can do is linger in bed. The cortisol is designed to help you wake, so when you feel this way you should get right up and use up the energy rather than laying in bed letting your mind use it for anxiety.
    Here’s me lingering in bed reading an anxiety forum .

Same every morning but sometimes lasts all day till the evening, but does anyone have stomach problems headache and feeling of like air in your chest and throat as well, I have all these symptoms but always have a horrible upset stomach as well with these feelings , this used to just come on when I had been up a while in the mornings but the past 2 weeks it's as soon as I open my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by jackieann3 View Post
    Same every morning but sometimes lasts all day till the evening, but does anyone have stomach problems headache and feeling of like air in your chest and throat as well, I have all these symptoms but always have a horrible upset stomach as well with these feelings , this used to just come on when I had been up a while in the mornings but the past 2 weeks it's as soon as I open my eyes.
    Sounds like me exactly this time 30 years ago.

Back then I often used to wonder if I was the only person in the world with such issues and nearly everyone else was just fine, but obviously online forums and the like still barely existed back then in 1994, nor do I think anxiety in general was as openly discussed back then like it is now.

I also think most people back then tended to keep schtum about many unlucky events, apart from redundancy, being burgled or having their vehicles broken into or stolen, all of which issues seemed to be the most widely discussed back then IIRC, but almost never GAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    Here’s me lingering in bed reading an anxiety forum .
    I'm pretty sure I was doing the same thing when I posted that! But the first step is admitting you have a problem!

I'm pretty sure I was doing the same thing when I posted that! But the first step is admitting you have a problem!
    Erin, I have a problem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information