Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried about skin cancer

Worried about skin cancer

I am a 27 year old male and for 1-2 months now I’ve been experiencing off and on discharge and brown crust my belly button. I first visited the doctor 1 month ago and when he looked at it, there was no discharge. He used a q tip and magnifying glass, and he didn’t see anything inside of my belly button under the magnifying glass besides minor redness. I went on a course of oral antibiotics and thought the issue went away, but it’s been showing up periodically. After washing my belly button out with water, the crust will go away, but it will come back. I’ve just saw another doctor today and that doctor was not concerned about it either, but referred me to a dermatologist to see if it’s a cyst. In the meantime, I’ve been given a topical antibiotic and have a dermatologist appointment in two weeks. I’m concerned about the possibility of this being a skin cancer lesion that isn’t as obvious as skin cancer that looks like a mole and am hoping waiting another two weeks won’t be too long.

I have a family history of skin cancer, which is why I’m concerned, even though I spend little time in the sun.

Re: Worried about skin cancer

I've never, ever heard of skin cancer manifesting like that, and this is speaking as somebody who had a basal cell carcinoma for five years, knew about it for three and spent hours every day Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I've never, ever heard of skin cancer manifesting like that, and this is speaking as somebody who had a basal cell carcinoma for five years, knew about it for three and spent hours every day Googling.
    I know that a cancerous lesion will usually be in a somewhat visible area that is exposed to sun, but I’ve heard of cases where it starts in an area like under the toenail or somewhere like that that isn’t as obvious and the victim dies because they didn’t notice it

Still, this seems incredibly unlikely. Trust your GP.

Concerned about infection turning into flesh eating virus

I am 27 and have been dealing with what seems to be an infected umbilicus/navel area possibly caused related to a cyst for the last 2 months. Basically it's been causing off and on discharge with a bad smell. It started when I saw a brown crust in that area and assumed I needed to clean that area better, but washing only temporarily helps. Some days it will be bad, but I have gone a week sometimes without any discharge or symptoms, which is part of the reason why this has been going on so long. I saw my regular doctor and took oral antibiotics for a week, which seemed to clear the symptoms. The symptoms became more persistent and I went to see another doctor in my regular doctor's group who prescribed an antibiotic ointment, which has been providing some relief. The doctor I saw yesterday was thinking it might be a cyst that got irritated. I am concerned that the antibiotic ointment will not totally get rid of the symptoms and that what I am dealing with will turn into a flesh eating virus, since I've been dealing with this for so long and I've read that infections in this area can turn into necrotizing fasciitis.
    Last edited by beq45; 25-11-19 at 04:09.

Re: Concerned about infection turning into flesh eating virus

And what did the doctor say when you told him of your concerns?

Keep using the cream as directed. Don’t fiddle with it or keep checking it and I’m sure it’ll get better soon with no further complications.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Re: Concerned about infection turning into flesh eating virus

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    And what did the doctor say when you told him of your concerns?

Keep using the cream as directed. Don’t fiddle with it or keep checking it and I’m sure it’ll get better soon with no further complications.
    Well I'm not one to bring up concerns like this to a doctor, because I don't want it to come across as me doubting their knowledge. Also, I didn't consider the possibility of something like this turning into a flesh eating infection until I got on the internet after the last time I saw the doctor.

I’ve also read that the abdominal area is one of the more common areas for someone to get necrotizing fasciitis, which is concerning.

I've literally never heard of skin cancer presenting itself that way. I see a dermatologist every 6 months and am very aware of what to look for. Based on my history I have to be on the lookout pretty regularly. Your doctor is sending you to the derma because you have a skin ISSUE, not because he suspects you have skin cancer. Skin is the dermas thing, not your GP's. Try not to stress, you have nothing to be worried about.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information