Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Awful toothache.... any advice? :(

Re: Awful toothache.... any advice? :(

Yeah, they are quite painful. When I shattered one of my wisdom teeth I thought it was tooth ache but it turned out to be an absess that needed treating first.

As said it can take a couple of days for the antibiotics to stop it's gallop and then each day will be a big relief. The salt water washes are a good idea to help clear the area and something the medical profession use a lot for cleaning (that's all saline solution is). I do these every time I have a throat problem with a cold. It helps break up any mucus too.

Now you have another reason why a pair of pliers would have been a bad idea. Bursting an absess into your mouth and a likely throat infection (and probably puking up your tea as the stuff reeks) wouldn't have been a good idea. You might find your mouth stinks a bit and that's the absess.

Really not much you can other thna recommended and wait it out. When my antiobiotics ran out I noticed the pain coming back a few days later and this was because they hadn't killed it off completely. It just meant another course and it was nowhere near as bad as the original anyway. So, if that happens just head back to the dentist for another prescription if needed.

Thanks Terry

My abcess is on the roof of my mouth but it’s not red or like what Id have imagined an abcess to look like. It’s basically a bit that’s swollen and very painful but it’s pink, not red. It leads to the channel of the bad tooth. I don’t know if there’s pus inside or anything

Do you think, in this case, that it really is an abcess?

Toby just follow the instructions on the packet for the tablets ok? Don’t take them at the same time. Take them 2-3 hours apart so that you have constant pain relief. Don’t take nurofen on an empty stomach if possible, and don’t exceed the dose. If it helps, write it down when you take them. I put it in notes on my phone.
    You’ll probably start to feel better tomorrow.

Yep, a trained & experienced dentist has examined it so knows what it is. All mine looked like was a red inflammation. The pus/infection is inside.

Yeah, I feel much better today- I went to sleep in the morning because my sleep schedule has been messed up because of this and when I woke up I wasn't in pain at all.

I have to thank the Neurofen for that

I feel like I'll overdose though if I take them for 10 days

Also about the empty stomach, I still can't really eat a lot because it's sore and I don't eat breakfast anyway... if I take neurofen on an empty stomach could it kill me? Obviously I eat dinner and snack throughout the day but I'm not a 'meal' person, again, besides dinner

Oh I did have some mild cramping this morning in various areas of my stomach which is to be expected because of the antibiotics

However (TMI) I haven't been to the toilet since Saturday night. I'm trying not to tie it in to my bowel cancer worry but shouldn't I be needing the toilet now because of the antibiotics?

It couldn’t kill you no, but it might irritate your stomach. You could try paracetamol instead?

And no, it won’t kill you if you take it for 10 days either.

Just make sure you follow the instructions.

Antibiotics can be hard on the digestive system. Can you get some probiotics and take them at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    It couldn’t kill you no, but it might irritate your stomach. You could try paracetamol instead?

And no, it won’t kill you if you take it for 10 days either.

Just make sure you follow the instructions.

Antibiotics can be hard on the digestive system. Can you get some probiotics and take them at the same time?
    I take paracetamol alongside the ibuprofen, but paracetamol by itself does nothing at all for me

I've just read about people having seizures because of reactions to this

Also, I'm on Sertraline, and I was told by 111 that taking Ibuprofen + Sertraline can cause bleeding, however, the bleeding doesn't sound very likely:

Using sertraline together with ibuprofen may increase the risk of bleeding. The interaction may be more likely if you are elderly or have kidney or liver disease.
    But the Neurofen/Ibuprofen is the only thing that helps and I don't want to dip back into a painful state so I take the risk

Also I'm really scared that something bad may happen

I take maca root already. I don't know if that counts. I'll order some probiotics now off Amazon.

Also, during the week that I'm taking Ibuprofen I might only take 100mg of sertraline rather than 150mg to lessen the risk

If you drop your sertraline by a third you'll have a whole world of new and interesting bodily sensations to panic about.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information