Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Awful toothache.... any advice? :(

Re: Awful toothache.... any advice? :(

I'm at a college, and my job's safe this time round, luckily. Really appreciate you asking, thanks.

Sorry this is distressing you so much.

Sorry to hear of your recent job stress Iris. That must've been super stressful. So glad it's ok.

Toby, I don't like the drill either. Sounds like you've found the cause of the pain, and that is a horrible feeling when a filling has fallen out. You can buy temporary filling kits which are quite good until you can get to a dentist. Failing that, I was told by a dentist to patch it with sugar-free gum until I could get it filled again. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Oooo Blue, I didn't see your work stuff going on - and I have skipped to the ending, which is all good fortunately.

Nobody likes the drill Toby, even those who aren't phobic just tolerate it - they don't like it. LOL

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    I'm not really scared of having work done, but it's the sensation of the drill edging towards the nerve that is a killer for me. So in a sense I guess I'm scared? But needles don't scare me any more. But I'd do anything to have this ache go away
    If the area is all numb, how can you feel or sense the drill going near "nerve"? Again, this is all anxiety talking, not common sense.

I do accept that when the local starts to wear off, pain can be bad news, and a strong painkiller is usually necessary.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I'm at a college, and my job's safe this time round, luckily. Really appreciate you asking, thanks.

Sorry this is distressing you so much.
    No problem, and I'm glad everything's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dying_Swan View Post
    Sorry to hear of your recent job stress Iris. That must've been super stressful. So glad it's ok.

Toby, I don't like the drill either. Sounds like you've found the cause of the pain, and that is a horrible feeling when a filling has fallen out. You can buy temporary filling kits which are quite good until you can get to a dentist. Failing that, I was told by a dentist to patch it with sugar-free gum until I could get it filled again. Hope you get it sorted soon.
    The whole thing hasn't fallen out, it looks like a bit is missing that is maybe exposing the nerve a little more than it should

But even before that the filled in tooth was extremely sensitive even with the filling so I think the problem wasn't solved the first time, I might need a root canal. Backstory: I had a filling a few years before in that tooth and then about 8-9 months ago it fell out and I was tolerating the pain for months until this September because I was scared of getting told off by the dentist. In reality she couldn't have been nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    If the area is all numb, how can you feel or sense the drill going near "nerve"? Again, this is all anxiety talking, not common sense.

I do accept that when the local starts to wear off, pain can be bad news, and a strong painkiller is usually necessary.
    Oh you can definitely feel it as the drill touches the nerve, even with the injection. It's one of the worst, most irritating sensations ever and it makes my skin crawl just thinking about it

But yeah I guess my point was that I'm not especially scared of the procedure but that pain is annoying

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    Oh you can definitely feel it as the drill touches the nerve, even with the injection. It's one of the worst, most irritating sensations ever and it makes my skin crawl just thinking about it

But yeah I guess my point was that I'm not especially scared of the procedure but that pain is annoying
    Perhaps you need an extra couple of pricks to make sure you wouldn't feel a sledgehammer if it was swung at your gob

Never Surrender, Comrade

You need to see a dentist, having a root canal is not fun.

Ba ha ha, this will make you all WINCE, I have dental work done without pain killers. I DID have a root canal done with some though, as that was a step too far - but my two crowns and fillings have been done 'au naturel'.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information