Thread: Don't know whether to apply for a job

Don't know whether to apply for a job

Hi,
    I've been quite unwell with my anxiety the past year. Only just managed to finish my final year of uni, and on my final two placements (it was a health degree), where I work in various settings for a few months, I really struggled with and rang in sick a lot. I struggle to leave the house at the moment, have extreme ocd on a night time, insomnia and health anxiety. The problem is my dream job has just come up, and I'm in two minds whether to apply. I would love to be well and enjoy this job, but I feel my anxiety problems are you much and I'll end up off a lot and ruin it. What do I do for best? Apply and hope I'm ok or try to get better?
    Thank you

Re: Don't know whether to apply for a job

A question always asked of children is "What do you want to be when you grow up?" From the time my children were young I always told them to do something you enjoy and have a passion for. It's what I did in pursuing the music business. My son always wanted to travel and see the world and my daughter loves young children. My son works for the airlines and travels the world and my daughter teaches pre-school. While they face the challenges we all do in life, the fact they enjoy their work makes dealing with those challenges much easier. IMO, nothing is worse than being miserable due to hating your work.

If you have a career/job you enjoy, you have won more than 50% of the battle. Look at it this way.... The things we regret most in life are not the things we tried and failed at, it's the things we didn't do due to fear. If this is a dream job, you owe it to yourself to go for it! Also, this being a dream job could help distract you from the all the negative self talk and could in fact be the catalyst for recovery.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I'd personally say- why not take the chance? Apply for the job? I recently moved country to start my dream job, it's happening during a bad period of anixety for me- so even tho it's been really sh*t at times. I'm so glad I took the chance. So why not just take the chance? Like Fishmanpa said, this could be the start of your recovery xxx

Thank you both. I agree, I think I have to at least try and like you say Fishman it might snap me out of the hole I'm in at the moment and help in recovery. I guess it just seems such a big leap from how I've been lately, seems too overwhelming. But I do feel I'll kick myself if I let it slip past because of my problems. SarahNah, it's reassuring to know you took the plunge and it's going well for you
    Thank you both again this has given me the perspective I needed X

Thread Information