Thread: Sertraline/Zoloft and need to pee/nightime pee

Sertraline/Zoloft and need to pee/nightime pee

Hi,

My doctor prescribed me 50mg of Sertraline end of August and it gave me some pretty horrendous side effects, mainly terrible nausea and irregular sleep patterns. Thankfully this eased off after about 5 weeks and things seemed to settle down. About two weeks ago my GP agreed to up the dose to 100mg as I was still feeling anxious and having low mood. The thing is that the day after I upped the dose, I began needing to pee all the time. I also started to wake up between 1.00 and 1.30am each night needing to pee. This has sent my health anxiety sky high as I'm now fearful that as a 45 year old male, I have a serious problem with my prostate. Obviously I went straight to the leaflet for the Sertraline and looked...sure enough, one of the side effects seems to be that it can cause increased urination and it even says - nighttime urination...BUT, these are listed as being a rare side effect. It's frightening me so much that I'm starting to worry about going to sleep.

I'm making an appointment with my GP again to discuss this week but I'd be ever so grateful to hear if anyone else has had this side effect when increasing Sertraline and if so, did it ease by dropping back to a lower dose?

Thank you so much in advance.

D

Re: Sertraline/Zoloft and need to pee/nightime pee

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21 View Post
    I'm making an appointment with my GP again to discuss this week but I'd be ever so grateful to hear if anyone else has had this side effect when increasing Sertraline and if so, did it ease by dropping back to a lower dose?
    It is most likely a short lived side-effect triggered by the dose increase. It will probably diminish within a week or two. Until then your GP may prescribe a med to reduce the number of times you need to pee.

Re: Sertraline/Zoloft and need to pee/nightime pee

I dont think its anything to worry about, since my anxiety has resurfaced im having to pee every bloody hour throughout the day. Ive increased my sertraline too.
    Sure i remember having to pee alot when i first started but it settled as the anxiety settled.

Nick

Thread Information