Thread: ecg question

ecg question

I think it's called an ekg? I have had about 6 or 7. I was wondering exacly how these tell you your heart is fine? I know it works on electrical charges. I know that it knows if your heart is ok then but how does it know your heart will be ok later?

I think you mean an ECG? These measure the rhythms of your heart and pick up if there is any abnormal/ missing beats/ rhythms etc.

Obviously they can 100% tell you that sometime in the future you will not have heart problems but they CAN tell you that you dont have an inherited or underlying heart problem, i.e your heart is essentially healthy and if you look after it it should continue to be!

I think it is called an EKG in the states isn't it?

Nicola

Yes Nic, ECG here EKG in the USA.

You're right JR it works on electrical tracing of the hearts function.It will show any previous heart attacks, how efficient your heart is , how rested it can get between beats etc

People don't have a healthy heart one day and a massive heart attack the next. Heart muscle damage builds up slowly with arthroma- gunge stuck to the inside of the arteries bringing oxygen to the heart muscle itself.

Prior to actually having a heart attack an ECG will usually show ischaemia (reduced oxygen supply to the muscles)and often people will complain of chest pain (angina).

This is the muscles complaining of not enough oxygen. Angina pain will get worse with exercise, anxiety chest pain will improve as we stretch the chest wall muscles.

Each of us has a responsibility to look after our hearts...... Prolonged stress can increase arthroma due to the liver releasing large amounts of glucose into the blood stream which if not used quickly for flight or fight is converted and laid down as fat. The body is not fussed about where...

Rest assured - This happens over years not just a few months - if you're eating correctly and exercise regularly, have an Ok cholesterol and don't smoke you are at low risk and you're not likely to ever have a heart attack at all.....

Your health - your choice.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Meg

Can they see if you have had a stroke - however mild?

When my dad died they said he had had several strokes but he showed no signs of one.

Nicola

I dont think so because strokes are caused by blockages to vessels in the brain starving the brain of oxygen, this usually happens when a blood clot blocks an artery.

.....or when arthroma builds up inside those arteries too.

There are so many tiny arteries in the brain it would be very hard to spot every little one unless the patient is symptomatic.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Are they dangerous then? If we don't know we had one can it be a harm to us?

Nicola

it totally depends on what part of the brain is affected,I think you can have a small stroke and not know about it if it doesn't affect your capabilities.

Thread Information