Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Diagnosed With GERD

Just Diagnosed With GERD

Hi all for the past few weeks since I posted about me having bowel issues, I was having other issues burping a lot, stomach pains not horrible ones, cough and a very mild burning in my throat and once as I was sleeping I felt a burning sour backwash in my throat, this happens rarely. Last night I woke up at 2 am with sharp stabbing pains in my stomach that felt like the worst hunger pains ever, it lasted all day until four pm, scared me so badly that I did a video call with those online doctors, used it before when I was diagnosed with cellulitis, after asking a bunch of questions and listening to my symptoms, I have been diagnosed with GERD and given pepcid. I never knew all that could be because of my diagnoses and apparently it goes hand in hand with anxiety and depression. I am a bit stressed worrying about what to eat now afraid I am going to have those stomach pains, I have to keep a food journal and figure out what foods trigger me so far raw onion, and spicy foods, doc wants me to cut fried food ( which I rarely eat), fatty foods, and caffiene, and acidic foods. I thought for sure the doc was going to tell me I had IBS. Any advice, suggestions from those of you that have GERD?

Re: Just Diagnosed With GERD

Quote Originally Posted by Pkstracy View Post
    I have been diagnosed with GERD and given pepcid. I never knew all that could be because of my diagnoses and apparently it goes hand in hand with anxiety and depression. I am a bit stressed worrying about what to eat now afraid I am going to have those stomach pains, I have to keep a food journal and figure out what foods trigger me so far raw onion, and spicy foods, doc wants me to cut fried food ( which I rarely eat), fatty foods, and caffiene, and acidic foods.
    Welcome to one of the most common stomach ailments there is. It's pretty straight forward and your doctor's advice was spot on and the real key lies in treating your anxiety. Look at the FODMAP diet, take your PPI and things will settle down.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks, Fish, I am on Pepcid twice a day I'll look at the FODMAP plan.

I find that anything too fatty or spicy sets mine off. Also if I eat too much.
    Don’t lay down straight after eating, eat 3 hours before bed, and prop yourself up in bed where possible.
    I use gaviscon if I need anything, I found it the only thing that works.

Mine is worse when stressed x

Hi Tracey I also suffer from Gerd and take Somac.
    This time last year my voice went raspy and croaky apparently the doc told me it was gerd that is why I take the med.x

SCASS, mine so far is spicy and onion, I noticed also when I am stressed I get flare-ups never knew I had this.

QUINN my voice also fets raspy and I sometimes wake up with a cough did not know this was gerd, thank you both for replying, I don't eat before bed and will start taking walks after dinner, mine is mild so far.

I'm a sufferer too....
    So far the things that set me off...
    Anything fried a definite no, no.
    Anything with vinegar, that includes anything pickled.
    Fatty and processed meat such as lamb, sausages, bacon, mince, burgers, corn beef
    Anything spicy
    Salmon with artificial food colouring
    Onion
    White bread
    Most fruit, except for apples, bananas and strawberries
    Sweets like wine gums, jelly babies..
    Wine
    Chocolate :(

Chamomile tea helps to settle the stomach and not eating for several hours before you go to bed.
    Someone mentioned peppermint tea to me, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks so much, carnation, still doing the weeding out so far I can handle chocolate and I do not eat a lot of fried food only when we go out to get a burger and fries. I just had a fruit smoothie and no issues, I drink coconut milk.

I find the reaction comes as much as 6 hours after consuming. I think that is the time it reaches your lower gut area.
    My
    GERD can cause chest and shoulder pain as well. :(

yeah been having shoulder pain off and on and a couple of times chest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information