Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: I went Dumpster Diving and loved it! (Freeganism)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,323

    I went Dumpster Diving and loved it! (Freeganism)

    Dumpster diving is legal in the UK. It's basically rummaging through bins of supermarkets, fast food places, bakeries etc. I've read about it for a long time and as I'm on a limited income I thought why not try it.

    I'd been having cabin fever tonight. Just didn't want to be in the house. So I grabbed one of the dogs at 2am and went for a walk. I've been short on cash for a few weeks and haven't been eating properly. My money at the moment goes all on my son and his Christmas.

    I walked passed a local Sainsbury's. It looked secluded out back so I walked to the rear with the dog and sat for a while. It would be awkward being caught in the act of rummaging through Sainsbury's bins.

    I found lots of doughnuts and cakes. Dates on them were labelled "best before 29th". Well, tonight is the 29th so they're still good to eat. I took a few packets. There was other stuff but I decided the doughnuts were enough for tonight.

    Are they safe to eat? Well in this case yes. It seems for some reason sainsbury's will pack each packet of doughnuts in another white bag. That bag is then put into another white bag. I have a feeling they do this purely for dumpster divers and people seeking free food. It was quite strange when I noticed it. Like a health and safety thing.

    I shall definitely be doing this again. It got me out of the house for 2 hours and it was quite fun.

    It's shocking how much food is wasted. Tomorrow I'll be trying the local pizza hut

    There's a word for this called Freeganism. Cool video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbALZmxytn4
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 29-11-19 at 04:32.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    22,890

    Re: I went Dumpster Diving and loved it! (Freeganism)

    James,

    Every night on my late night walks I would be in Tesco 2-4am. The bakery staff would be bagging everything up to go into the bins. There was tons of it. I think with bread products they send so much off to become feed for farm animals though.

    So much waste though. It was every day! I simply don't understand how they forecast better?

    Og, and Best Before dates are meaninglness. They just indicate the date at which they think quality may degrade. It's not a reflection of any safety date which are the Use By dates. Many don't even have Best Before dates now. the goverment have been telling supermarkets to remove them for years as they just contribute to waste since people will naturally reach for the longer dates.

    Enjoy!



    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: I went Dumpster Diving and loved it! (Freeganism)

    It's insane what's wasted. I worked at McDonalds and Aldi and both waste so much. McDonalds is the worst. Anything over 10 minutes left out gets binned. I do love the late night walks they're really helping with the mental health. Anything that works I guess I'm full up from doughnuts. Can't eat any more.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    22,890

    Re: I went Dumpster Diving and loved it! (Freeganism)

    This bloke never would have put up with that sort of behaviour!





    It's surprising how much spare change you find thrown away at night. Lots of scrapnel. The occasional quid and once a fiver! One time I even found over 5 of lose mixed change scattered across a main road coming off a petrol station. It may have been part of someone's loot from robbing the place...but I gave it good home (it took some time picking the stuff up though with speeding cars in the way)
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: I went Dumpster Diving and loved it! (Freeganism)

    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    This bloke never would have put up with that sort of behaviour!





    It's surprising how much spare change you find thrown away at night. Lots of scrapnel. The occasional quid and once a fiver! One time I even found over 5 of lose mixed change scattered across a main road coming off a petrol station. It may have been part of someone's loot from robbing the place...but I gave it good home (it took some time picking the stuff up though with speeding cars in the way)
    Delboy (I hope you're referring to Delboy and not some other character in his other shows because I'm a huge only fools fan)

    You had me laughing this morning Terry. You must have good eyesight! Sounds like a good place to hunt for shrapnel with people pulling change out of their pockets while filling up.

    I'm off out tonight to see what I can find again. A few more far out spots to try so the long walks will be good. I'm fine getting out at night, it's the bloody daytime and people. Vampire James!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    20,070

    Re: I went Dumpster Diving and loved it! (Freeganism)

    Here in the US, roughly 40% of food is wasted. In fact, the US wastes more food than any other country. While stores are responsible for some of the waste, it's the people who waste the most. It's estimated that over 150,000 tons are disposed of daily by US households alone. Ironic when so many struggle just to get a decent meal.

    Positive thoughts
    __________________
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

    The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: I went Dumpster Diving and loved it! (Freeganism)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Here in the US, roughly 40% of food is wasted. In fact, the US wastes more food than any other country. While stores are responsible for some of the waste, it's the people who waste the most. It's estimated that over 150,000 tons are disposed of daily by US households alone. Ironic when so many struggle just to get a decent meal.

    Positive thoughts
    Very true Fishmanpa. I can only imagine the numbers in the UK are around the same. I myself have wasted food so many times.

    My grandma was not a wasteful person. She used to reuse teabags. She grew up during the second world war where people couldn't be wasteful with rations. My mother is the same she'll use food beyond its sell-by/used-by date.

    It's little experiences that make me realize how wasteful I am myself.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    22,890

    Re: I went Dumpster Diving and loved it! (Freeganism)

    Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Delboy (I hope you're referring to Delboy and not some other character in his other shows because I'm a huge only fools fan)

    You had me laughing this morning Terry. You must have good eyesight! Sounds like a good place to hunt for shrapnel with people pulling change out of their pockets while filling up.

    I'm off out tonight to see what I can find again. A few more far out spots to try so the long walks will be good. I'm fine getting out at night, it's the bloody daytime and people. Vampire James!
    It's Arkwright (on the right) from Open All Hours, a man even Scrooge would get criticised by for being a spendthrift Not that Delboy would have any issues flogging a load of out of date donut stocks but it would be Rodders doing the dumpster diving

    Yes, lots of change around gutters and bus stops. You get to know all the possible drops
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,691

    Re: I went Dumpster Diving and loved it! (Freeganism)

    I didn't realise that dumpster diving is legal in the UK
    Is the actual bin detective work legal but its less legal to be on private grounds?

    Its something I feel I might need to look at

    At some point there was a rumour that Asda was spraying its dumped food waste with colourant to stop people nicking it as they want people to buy in store and too many people were nicking stuff, that could be an urban myth of course
    __________________
    Dudley Moore: Do you feel you've learnt by your mistakes here?
    Peter Cook: I think I have, yes, and I think I can probably repeat them almost perfectly.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,323

    Re: I went Dumpster Diving and loved it! (Freeganism)

    Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    I didn't realise that dumpster diving is legal in the UK
    Is the actual bin detective work legal but its less legal to be on private grounds?

    Its something I feel I might need to look at

    At some point there was a rumour that Asda was spraying its dumped food waste with colourant to stop people nicking it as they want people to buy in store and too many people were nicking stuff, that could be an urban myth of course
    I've read the same thing on the dumpster diving subreddit (/r/dumpsterdiving). I haven't been back out since but hopefully in the week I'll get a chance to try a new place. It becomes illegal when you tresspass. This is why McDonalds have their fences around the bin area. You have to climb it to get the food and that puts you in legal trouble.

    I wish I had a car it would be so much more fun. The back of perfume shops and pharmacies is said to be good for lotions and fragrances too. I haven't been to those places to check but I follow the subreddit closely for tips.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. I dumpster dived...
    By Roosterruby in forum Rabies Concerns
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-04-19, 19:13
  2. Panic about the loved ones
    By jj82 in forum General Anxiety / Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-01-15, 10:48
  3. Worrying about your loved ones
    By HoneyLove in forum General Anxiety / Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-05-13, 16:38
  4. Asking loved ones constantly if they are ok?
    By captain-savvy in forum General Anxiety / Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-04-13, 14:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •