Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OCD Breast Checking

Re: OCD Breast Checking

Why don't you just go and see the doctor with all of these worries and questions?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    Thank you for the links.

Do yo ufind methods like diary keeping if symotos, triggers help? For example current worry: Boobs. Trigger: Read online and various articles Hiw I feel: need to check. What I do: Check.

I had this Breast OCD years ago and I got over it by distraction techniques
    Keeping a journal does help...but you have to be true to it. You need to write down triggers, feelings, what the doctors say, all of it. Then in your weakest moments, you go back and look what the doctor said, and you reassure yourself that way. Reading online is a NO NO.

I also worry that once therapy starts and I get better, that something bad will happen.
    That's called magical thinking, and we all deal with combating it. But eventually it comes with the acceptance that anything bad could happen at any time, that's a part of the risk of living. Keeping a journal, and writing these thoughts down will help put them in their place.

Are you reading any self-help books? If the therapy really is four months away (no offense, but it always seems to be looming in the future for you), why not add some books to the online CBT? In fact, if I were you, I would put a sign next to the computer. Have it say: GO READ YOUR BOOK. So that everytime you feel like googling symptoms, you instead read your self-help book.

Are there any books you'd recommend? I struggle with the online portals as I use my phone and distracted with messages that come through. I'd rather have a physical work book I can shut myself away when little one is in bed.

My relationship is almost at it's end because my partner says it's tainted from my anxieties. Obviously I'd love him to support me but I understand how frustrating it might be for him.

What happened with the therapy you were waiting for ?

It's four month wait with priority apparently, that's the maximum I was told I'd wait but I'm trying to focus on methods myself.

Right now for example I'm still having breast ache at the very top just under my collar bone. I'm trying to get better but physical symptoms are there. It's last day of my period today

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    Are there any books you'd recommend? I struggle with the online portals as I use my phone and distracted with messages that come through. I'd rather have a physical work book I can shut myself away when little one is in bed.

My relationship is almost at it's end because my partner says it's tainted from my anxieties. Obviously I'd love him to support me but I understand how frustrating it might be for him.
    This book: Brain Lock, Twentieth Anniversary Edition: Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior

by Jeffrey M. Schwartz

If you have Amazon prime, it's 12 bucks for a physical copy.

As to your relationship, everyone has faults. Part of being in a relationship is believing that this person you are with has positive attributes that outweigh their faults. However, it is usually with an understanding that the person will continue to work on their faults. If you never do anything to work on your OCD, I honestly don't blame your partner for feeling the way that he does. You can only support someone so much if they are unwilling to support themselves.

Reb,

All of these are available on NHS book prescription:

https://reading-well.org.uk/books/bo.../mental-health

A health professional, not just a GP, can write them and you just go to your local library for them.

If you want to help your relationship then putting the work into recovery is important. It may not save it but it does show willingness to change, to help yourself. From our point of view we don't see much movement and it's all cycles and reassurance seeking. You can work on that.

Therapy will only take you so far, don't stake a recovery on it because these services are short lived so you end up doing a lot of work afterwards too. Therefore you can start beforehand.

OCD Breast Checking

Seems to me the vast majority of the human male species must suffer from OCD breast checking. I've been checking them out since puberty

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    OCD Breast Checking

Seems to me the vast majority of the human male species must suffer from OCD breast checking. I've been checking them out since puberty

Positive thoughts
    You be careful fish,you will be tarred and feathered or des-scaled if the Me Too movement catch ya

Here are the rules for that, FMP, since obviously you never had "the talk":

1) You can look, but don't touch. Unless s/he asks you too, and s/he's single and over 18
    2) When you're checking out yourself, it doesn't count.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information