Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: UK election predictions?

Re: UK election predictions?

Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    The Don will get back in no problem
    Yeah, well he will now!

I said Boris would win.
    Now you've just got to wait for the 12th for Brexit.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    I said Boris would win.
    Now you've just got to wait for the 12th for Brexit.
    Yep, it was more a question of whether he got a majority. If it was hung and Labour got a similar number of votes it would have been anyone's game.

With his majority he can easily get the withdrawal bill voted through now as the other parties don't have enough to stop him if they combine. But then we move into the next stage and I think that will end up getting extended. The 2nd stage was originally planned for 2 years so I don't think it's a bad thing to extend that rather than a rushed deal.

It is just the start though but we always knew that as it has been made very clear. All the nonsense around the withdrawal ended up clouding it all. And then other trade deals will go on for years.

I will be very interested to see how we stay aligned in various agencies such as drug licencing, security, education, etc. And watching what they get up to in the US trade deal which the EU will want to stifle too.

Russia seem to be saying they are happy with Boris. Whilst it means more distance with the EU I would have thought Corbyn getting in would be better for them? Anti US, anti Israel, pro Iran, etc. It would put a big wedge between two major NATO parties. The EU want to keep Russia at bay (they still have France as a nuclear power) but the US is easily the biggest threat compared to countries that make up the EU.

The Brexit Party got no seats, but that doesn't matter. They helped the Tories take Labour out. Farage and gang are not stupid.

Jo Swinson deserved to lose her seat. She is toxic.

I said on /r/UnitedKingdom last night:

People here have spread lies from day one. I've seen anybody supporting Brexit, or Borris, get heckled, ridiculed and torn apart by this community. Where are all the people that changed their mind about the referendum? Many people here were wrong but I doubt they will open up and say sorry.
    It got upvoted to hell so it resonated with many. Yet, there still exists people who believe the country has been lied to and led blindly like sheep.

The speech Jo, and Corbyn, gave was pants.The both spoke as if they had been betrayed. Neither will own up to their mess ups during this Brexit process.

Johnson will bolster on now. They've just handed him the keys to free reign.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 13-12-19 at 18:15.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    People here have spread lies from day one. I've seen anybody supporting Brexit, or Borris, get heckled, ridiculed and torn apart by this community. Many people here were wrong but I doubt they will open up and say sorry.
    How is “being wrong“ and “spreading lies” the same thing?

People are not “wrong” because they vote in a party different than yours. Winning doesn’t make you “right”. Life isn't as simple as one big victory. People are still going to fight brexit, and if we leave people are going to fight to rejoin the EU. Then if we rejoin the EU, people will fight to leave again.

Where are all the people that changed their mind about the referendum?
    Over 50% of the vote actually went to to parties promising a second referendum or who were explicitly anti-Brexit, but a nevertheless Brexit is going to be shoved down the country's throat because of our godawful voting system FPTP.

You can thank the SNP and Lib Dems making up most of that 50%, which doesn't really reflect the views of the majority in England and Wales. Scotland want independence. Let them have it. Lib Dems are useless and helped to gain the votes from Labour. Many were on the Jo Swinson hype but she lost her seat too.

People are wrong for ridiculing those who showed any support for Boris, or the Tories, and are often branded far rights. If you've spent time on the subreddit you'll see its controlled mostly by Labour. It's a toxic waste ground and today has closed it's doors to new posts because it's receiving an influx of new members and posts that go against their own agenda.

The claims that most people had a change of heart over Brexit were clearly false. The landslide victory has shown that. All you have to do is look on here, Twitter, Reddit etc and see the amount of people peddling the lie that a second referendum is needed because people have changed their minds.

You can look at this election as a second referendum. If people didn't want the UK to leave the Tories would not have had such a huge win last night.

I can finally say "Dominic Cummings is a genius!". I've been waiting to say that for a while. He writes a cool blog on science, mathematics and philosophy. A very learned guy if you look past the media's BS about him https://dominiccummings.com/
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 13-12-19 at 20:25.

You can thank the SNP and Lib Dems making up most of that 50%, which doesn't really reflect the views of the majority in England and Wales. Scotland want independence. Let them have it. Lib Dems are useless and helped to gain the votes from Labour. Many were on the Jo Swinson hype but she lost her seat too.

People are wrong for ridiculing those who showed any support for Boris, or the Tories, and are often branded far rights. If you've spent time on the subreddit you'll see its controlled mostly by Labour. It's a toxic waste ground and today has closed it's doors to new posts because it's receiving an influx of new members and posts that go against their own agenda.

The claims that most people had a change of heart over Brexit were clearly false. The landslide victory has shown that. All you have to do is look on here, Twitter, Reddit etc and see the amount of people peddling the lie that a second referendum is needed because people have changed their minds.

You can look at this election as a second referendum. If people didn't want the UK to leave the Tories would not have had such a huge win last night.

I can finally say "Dominic Cummings is a genius!". I've been waiting to say that for a while. He writes a cool blog on science, mathematics and philosophy. A very learned guy if you look past the media's BS about him https://dominiccummings.com/
    You realise he didn't win a majority of voters, just a majority of seats? Of course, that's exactly what the GE required, but to say the outcome is representative of a majority of voters wanting Brexit is disingenuous and you're falling into the same trap as the folks you're having a go at. The reality is, as was the case in 2016 and as remains the case now, Brexit is deeply divisive and there exists no landslide for either side. 52% when split into constituencies becomes ~63%. It is what it is.

Scotland voted overwhelmingly to back the SNP (if we're looking purely at seat numbers they're the sole party in Scotland pretty much) so that means the people of Scotland are fully behind Scottish independence, right...? Johnson disagrees.

In the end, political parties will use what ever metric is most beneficial to justify support for every one of their plans. Tories have the seats so Johnson can move for whatever Brexit he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Yep, it was more a question of whether he got a majority. If it was hung and Labour got a similar number of votes it would have been anyone's game.

With his majority he can easily get the withdrawal bill voted through now as the other parties don't have enough to stop him if they combine. But then we move into the next stage and I think that will end up getting extended. The 2nd stage was originally planned for 2 years so I don't think it's a bad thing to extend that rather than a rushed deal.

It is just the start though but we always knew that as it has been made very clear. All the nonsense around the withdrawal ended up clouding it all. And then other trade deals will go on for years.

I will be very interested to see how we stay aligned in various agencies such as drug licencing, security, education, etc. And watching what they get up to in the US trade deal which the EU will want to stifle too.

Russia seem to be saying they are happy with Boris. Whilst it means more distance with the EU I would have thought Corbyn getting in would be better for them? Anti US, anti Israel, pro Iran, etc. It would put a big wedge between two major NATO parties. The EU want to keep Russia at bay (they still have France as a nuclear power) but the US is easily the biggest threat compared to countries that make up the EU.
    What is the reason behind Brexit?
    Aren't you guys better off staying in the EU????

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Scotland want independence. Let them have it.
    The SNP landslide up here was far more to do with labours collapse than support for independence. It’s also a little known fact that a lot of the SNP candidates removed the word “independence” from their campaigns.

They were utterly humiliated in 2017 when the Tories took a load of seats, and even Salmond lost his. They know fine well that support for independence is slowly dwindling, but they’re not about to admit that.

Please don’t fall for the narrative that we want independence because the SNP are winning everything up here. The only actual vote on this was in 2014 and we said no by a 10% majority. The SNP have never respected or accepted this and have set out to annoy and agitate ever since.

Crowds of roaming idiots wandering our streets with saltire face paint does not speak for the majority of this country. Give us indyref 2 and I’d bet my savings that the result would be an even bigger “no” than it was the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    The SNP landslide up here was far more to do with labours collapse than support for independence. It’s also a little known fact that a lot of the SNP candidates removed the word “independence” from their campaigns.

They were utterly humiliated in 2017 when the Tories took a load of seats, and even Salmond lost his. They know fine well that support for independence is slowly dwindling, but they’re not about to admit that.

Please don’t fall for the narrative that we want independence because the SNP are winning everything up here. The only actual vote on this was in 2014 and we said no by a 10% majority. The SNP have never respected or accepted this and have set out to annoy and agitate ever since.

Crowds of roaming idiots wandering our streets with saltire face paint does not speak for the majority of this country. Give us indyref 2 and I’d bet my savings that the result would be an even bigger “no” than it was the last time.
    Their argument is that Brexit has changed the landscape. We know from the voting numbers that wasn't supported and how some SNP supporters are pro Brexit anyway.

The trouble is the SNP will just push anyway. Do you think they will harp on about it and how the UK causes so many injustices for them just to the point where a vote might be granted...but then fizzle out knowing it won't go their way? Maybe Boris should grant it so she can't just moan he's preventing your freedom?

Mobile Chicane posted a chart in the EU thread that showed under PR the SNP are a lot worse off. I find that interesting because like the EU ref in Scotland those not on the winning side tend to be forgotten.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information