Thread: My knee pain turned to a Bakers cyst

My knee pain turned to a Bakers cyst

So I took the chance of going for a private ultrasound scan, I knew my knee wasn’t getting any better and wanted to know exactly what was going on. I had a scan done last night which should degenerative changes in my joints, inflammation and fluid on my knee as well as a bakers cyst at the back. I know have to have it all drained away and steroid injections to make my knee better.
    I haven’t really slept. I thought having had the ultrasound and finding out it wasn’t a blood clot etc would make me feel better, instead I’m scared that the cyst might actually be a tumour and how did she know it was a cyst and not a tumour? She told me it wasn’t a bad diagnosis and that these things can disappear and burst on their own and that the body will absorb it but sometimes drainage suits better. I’m scared of needles and anything medical so you can imagine this is scary for me. Has anyone ever had one or similar?

Re: My knee pain turned to a Bakers cyst

It sounds like a very common knee complaint. She knows what it is because she sees a lot of them. I’m sure you can discuss other options, you don’t have to have surgery if you really don’t want to, but perhaps she is offering it because this is affecting you.

Once the shock wears off I’m sure you’ll feel a bit better about it all.

Re: My knee pain turned to a Bakers cyst

Quote Originally Posted by katyfitz View Post
    So I took the chance of going for a private ultrasound scan, I knew my knee wasn’t getting any better and wanted to know exactly what was going on. I had a scan done last night which should degenerative changes in my joints, inflammation and fluid on my knee as well as a bakers cyst at the back. I know have to have it all drained away and steroid injections to make my knee better.
    I haven’t really slept. I thought having had the ultrasound and finding out it wasn’t a blood clot etc would make me feel better, instead I’m scared that the cyst might actually be a tumour and how did she know it was a cyst and not a tumour? She told me it wasn’t a bad diagnosis and that these things can disappear and burst on their own and that the body will absorb it but sometimes drainage suits better. I’m scared of needles and anything medical so you can imagine this is scary for me. Has anyone ever had one or similar?
    Had one 10 years ago, it burst and was absorbed, no pain or anything. It's very common. My knee is in pieces after surgery, worn cartilage, etc.

If they say it's a cyst, it's a cyst, nothing more. No point in making something out that it isnt

Thread Information