Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My many worries

Re: 4 months lump in underarm. Muscle?

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    Thank you for replying. I don’t really think it is a lymph node...but it still feels like a small mountain protruding from my underarm which freaks me out!
    I don’t think the second GP was feeling the right thing either. So the second opinion hasn’t given me the reassurance I needed
    With health anxiety, you will never receive enough reassurance. Sure, you may receive some reassurance and feel really great but then your mind will begin thinking of things it may have never thought before. You will then latch on to these thoughts and the cycle begins all over again.

Trust me, I have spent the last 2.5 years working through this exact anxiety. I discovered a lymph node on my neck and went spiraling. I was constantly poking, prodding, and thinking about it. I went to two doctors who both said it was nothing to worry about. I then began looking for other lymph nodes. Lo and behold I found a huge lump in my underarm just like you. I was on a work trip in Kansas City, Missouri and instead of exploring the city and spending time networking, I was in my hotel room freaking out: poking, prodding, looking in the mirror to fully understand what it was. It was large (5 cm), completely immobile, hard and there wasn't something like it on the other arm. I spent the entire night snooping around forums just like this for any reassurance. The entire trip was ruined. You want to know what it was? A MUSCLE!!! A muscle that has been there my entire life (30 years) but I never noticed it because my brain didn't care. I was so frustrated with myself that I allowed my time to be absolutely wasted on something that was nothing.

I finally got into therapy and learned that I will never get better unless I learn to challenge my thinking. Limeslime, you need to pause when an intrusive, scary and very real thought about this lump enters your mind. You need to take several deep breaths and then you need to tell yourself a few things: 1) These are just thoughts. These are just words. These thoughts are not reality and 2) I have been to two doctors who have both said this is not threatening. You have to ground yourself in reality and facts. Unfortunately, if you don't do this, you will continue down the path of repeated doctor visits, tests and eventually madness because you will never receive the reassurance your seeking for something thta is actually nothing to begin with.

Best Wishes.

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Re: 4 months lump in underarm. Muscle?

Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    With health anxiety, you will never receive enough reassurance. Sure, you may receive some reassurance and feel really great but then your mind will begin thinking of things it may have never thought before. You will then latch on to these thoughts and the cycle begins all over again.

Trust me, I have spent the last 2.5 years working through this exact anxiety. I discovered a lymph node on my neck and went spiraling. I was constantly poking, prodding, and thinking about it. I went to two doctors who both said it was nothing to worry about. I then began looking for other lymph nodes. Lo and behold I found a huge lump in my underarm just like you. I was on a work trip in Kansas City, Missouri and instead of exploring the city and spending time networking, I was in my hotel room freaking out: poking, prodding, looking in the mirror to fully understand what it was. It was large (5 cm), completely immobile, hard and there wasn't something like it on the other arm. I spent the entire night snooping around forums just like this for any reassurance. The entire trip was ruined. You want to know what it was? A MUSCLE!!! A muscle that has been there my entire life (30 years) but I never noticed it because my brain didn't care. I was so frustrated with myself that I allowed my time to be absolutely wasted on something that was nothing.

I finally got into therapy and learned that I will never get better unless I learn to challenge my thinking. Limeslime, you need to pause when an intrusive, scary and very real thought about this lump enters your mind. You need to take several deep breaths and then you need to tell yourself a few things: 1) These are just thoughts. These are just words. These thoughts are not reality and 2) I have been to two doctors who have both said this is not threatening. You have to ground yourself in reality and facts. Unfortunately, if you don't do this, you will continue down the path of repeated doctor visits, tests and eventually madness because you will never receive the reassurance your seeking for something thta is actually nothing to begin with.

Best Wishes.

Excellent post. That's the real deal. Personal experience and wisdom. This reply applies in most cases here. Replace the symptom (nodes, bloody poo etc.etc.) and the same things apply.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Vaginal lump please help

Oh my god, please help guys, I’m so frightened!
    I’ve found an actual lump in my vagina!!! It’s inside the opening of the vagina, to the right hand side and hanging down. I took a mirror and a torch to have a look (not easy) and it looks the same colour as the surrounding tissue, is kidney bean shaped and about 0.7cm deep x 2cm long. It looks puffy, but is really soft.
    It’s two days before Xmas, I cannot believe this is happening! I don’t know what to do! There are no GP appointments til 20th jan!!! 😢😢😢😢
    Last edited by Limeslime; 27-12-19 at 12:42.

Re: Vaginal lump please help

I’ve just checked it again. It’s a pretty soft lump, and to be honest, if I hadn’t seen it, I probably wouldn’t have felt it.
    I’d almost think it was normal anatomy stuff if it weren’t for the fact that there isn’t one on the opposite side.
    It’s to the right side of that solid, anterior wall that firms a curve at the entrance the the vagina. But there isn’t one on the left

I’ve just checked it again. It’s a pretty soft lump, and to be honest, if I hadn’t seen it, I probably wouldn’t have felt it.
    I’d almost think it was normal anatomy stuff if it weren’t for the fact that there isn’t one on the opposite side.
    It’s to the right side of that solid, anterior wall that firms a curve at the entrance the the vagina. But there isn’t one on the left
    Its probably normal anatomy you haven’t noticed. You can also have left over hymen remnants which can look like flappy/lumpy bits of skin by the vaginal opening. Mine is much lumper and bumpier on one side of my vagina opening. Dr recently checked me and said all looks normal. No two vaginas look the same. Xx

Thanks unicorn. I honestly wish I hadn’t looked! I’m such an idiot!
    Does your bumpy bits sound like mine? I have what looks like skin tags surrounding it too, or little tentacles 😬 but it’s this long oblong lump that worries me!

Yes exaactly that! Those skin tag like things are called vestibular papillomatosis and are completely normal. My lumpy bit is completely covered, I was convinced she would say cancer but completely normal xx

Yeah, I’ve heard of VP but mine seem too big for that. Compared to the lump though, I’m not so worried about them!

I’ve figured that the lump feels normal with my finger. It’s only when I can see it that I worry! So maybe it’s just normal and most people dont go looking!

If I had felt it but not seen it, it wouldn’t have concerned me enough to think it needed checked out!

Where did you go to get checked? Did you go to GP or GUM clinic?

Yeah, I’ve heard of VP but mine seem too big for that. Compared to the lump though, I’m not so worried about them!

I’ve figured that the lump feels normal with my finger. It’s only when I can see it that I worry! So maybe it’s just normal and most people dont go looking!

If I had felt it but not seen it, it wouldn’t have concerned me enough to think it needed checked out!

Where did you go to get checked? Did you go to GP or GUM clinic?
    they can vary in size. Mine are long and some look like bubbles.

Mine was a gp but she’s always diagnosed me right in the past so I’m trying to trust her x

I’ve got this it’s inside but when I have my legs open and pull the skin to the side I can see it on one side. It’s not pea shape it’s more oblong but attached to the wall. My gp said it’s normal but of course I still stress about it from time to time

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information