Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: My many worries

Re: Has anyone had a supraclavicular node?

I had a lymph node come up behind my ear. Hadnt been ill. Google told me it was cancer. Left it a month hoping it was just a cyst. Eventually plucked up the courage to go to the dr, she said yes lymph node if it’s still up in a few weeks come back and we will test to make sure it’s nothing nasty like cancer and you’ve got one right at the front of your neck swollen too! Well I wasn’t even aware of the one at the front of my neck. I came home in tears. The one on my neck was by my windpipe. I have reflux. I thought throat cancer. I googled that specific node as I found out it’s actual location name. It just kept bringing up lung cancer! Well I calmed down and remembered the lymph node behind my ear was half the size it when I first found it at that point. Fast forward it took 6 months for the one st the front of my neck to go down until I couldn’t feel it. The one behind my ear never went down fully and I can still feel it but not on other side. This was about two years ago now. I’m still alive. It doesn’t always mean cancer.

As for your tonsils i told you what that was already and it’s normal. Deep breaths this is your anxiety taking over xx

Re: My many worries

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    I appreciate everything you’ve all said.
    I have a 2cm lymph node behind my ear, and recently had a 2cm one one the back of my neck too...butvthey didn’t concern me. I just waited for them to go down in their own time.

But because this one is on my collarbone and the rules are slightly different in this area, I’m completely worked up!
    I first noticed it in early dec and I estimated it to be about 5mm.
    Last week it seemed to be 7mm
    And today is about 9mm. It’s like a puffy baked bean sitting on the bone!

If it were anywhere else I’d be ok... but I’ve not been ill, it’s been nearly 2 months, it’s growing and the collarbone area is an unusual and dangerous place to find nodes!

I’m scared guys. Rationally or not, I’ve not felt this frightened in about 2yrs. I cannot handle this feeling 😢

But my GP said it’s not a worry unless it’s as big as a grape. That’s 3cm!! We all know that rule does not apply to the collarbone nodes...which is why I feel she fobbed me off because of my HA. I’m not even sure she made a proper effort to feel it. I’m overweight, and its toward my sternum end of my collarbone, so not the easiest to locate!
    Last edited by Limeslime; 31-01-20 at 20:29.

Lymph node advice...

Please NMP, don’t attach this thread to the bottom of my old thread, because I just want advice on improving the symptom, not trying to diagnose it!

Does anyone know how to get a possibly “shotty” lymph node to go back down?

I’ve got a 1cm x 1cm node sitting on my collarbone which is terrifying me beyond relief. My GP isn’t concerned. I touch it all the time, trying to measure it against the pad of my finger to check if it has changed in size. It has got bigger, but maybe just because I can’t leave it alone!

It’s buried deep, so I don’t think heat or ice would get to it.

Is there any other remedies that might help it to go down so I can stop panicking?

(I know trying not to touch it is the obvious choice, but that’s so much easier said than done when I’m this frightened!)

Re: Lymph node advice...

Hello Limeslime

Unfortunately shotty lymph nodes generally do not go away. Shotty nodes are lymph nodes that were once reactive and thus enlarged for benign reasons and then never go away. I have a shotty lymph node on my neck that has been around for 2.5 years. This may be a situation that you have for the rest of your life and the real remedy is learning how to cope with having it on your body. I was just like you and CONSTANTLY touched my lymph node. I finally started using the CBT techniques I was learning in therapy and now I don't even think about it.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but sometimes our bodies don't go back to "normal" and we have to learn how to cope with the changes.

Best Wishes

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    Hello Limeslime

Unfortunately shotty lymph nodes generally do not go away. Shotty nodes are lymph nodes that were once reactive and thus enlarged for benign reasons and then never go away. I have a shotty lymph node on my neck that has been around for 2.5 years. This may be a situation that you have for the rest of your life and the real remedy is learning how to cope with having it on your body. I was just like you and CONSTANTLY touched my lymph node. I finally started using the CBT techniques I was learning in therapy and now I don't even think about it.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but sometimes our bodies don't go back to "normal" and we have to learn how to cope with the changes.

Best Wishes
    Thanks so much for the advice! I don’t know for sure if it is reactive or shotty (or malignant, but trying to keep my brain from going there). I’m just assuming “shotty” because of the damage I might have done messing with it. Maybe it would have got bigger regardless, but I’ll never know 🤷*♀️
    I was just hoping there was something I could try, in hopes of it shrinking. I’ve had it for three months. It’s the location that terrifies me...if it were anywhere else it wouldn’t concern me too much.
    I’m on a 12 month waiting list for high intensity CBT, and I’ve just finished low intensity CBT which didn’t really help much. 😢
    I feel like I could only cope with having it there if I could know it’s benign! 😢
    Last edited by Limeslime; 11-02-20 at 16:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    Thanks so much for the advice! I don’t know for sure if it is reactive or shotty (or malignant, but trying to keep my brain from going there). I’m just assuming “shotty” because of the damage I might have done messing with it. Maybe it would have got bigger regardless, but I’ll never know 路*♀️
    I was just hoping there was something I could try, in hopes of it shrinking. I’ve had it for three months. It’s the location that terrifies me...if it were anywhere else it wouldn’t concern me too much.
    I’m on a 12 month waiting list for high intensity CBT, and I’ve just finished low intensity CBT which didn’t really help much. 
    I feel like I could only cope with having it there if I could know it’s benign! 
    I've been following your posts quite closely because of our shared HA issues and it sounds like you've been told by multiple professionals that it is benign. It's good you are making attempts to keep your brain from going down the path of it being malignant when in fact you have been told it isn't.

My node shrunk a little when I stopped touching it. Because HA is a lifelong recovery, I do find myself poking my node every now and then and it certainly gets bigger when I do. Really practice not touching it. If you are touching incessantly then start with something small like an hour and then work your way up to a day then a week. Whenever you feel the urge to poke or prod just think, "It hasn't grown in the last (enter time) so it certainly hasn't grown in the last (enter time). I don't need to touch it." This is CBT and it grounds you in reality. This is the exact process I followed and it helped me immensely.

Best Wishes.

That’s great advice, thank you so much!!

I’ve actually only had one GP look at this particular node. And to be honest, I got the impression she’d already dismissed it before she’d even checked it. She straight away said “if you have to dig around to find it, it’s nothing to worry about”. I was like, “whoa, hang on, I havnt even showed you it yet!”
    It was like I was being judged because of my HA and not taken seriously. So I really didn’t leave feeling as reassured as I should go!

But thank you for the advice! I’ll give it a try!!
    The longest I’ve went without touching it was 4 days. Then I spent an entire day prodding it and undid all my hard work!
    I just wish it would go away!
    I’m terrified 😢

First off, this should be merged as it's all about the same thing... NODES. Secondly, we have 500-700 nodes in our bodies. They're our sewer system for lack of a better description. They range in size from BBs to 2cm and all are normal. Sometimes they swell and never go back to their original size and often times they can become shotty (permanently enlarged... notice I didn't say swollen), especially if you poke and prod them enough.

What NotDeadYet said is spot on. Learn to live with it.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    “if you have to dig around to find it, it’s nothing to worry about”.
    This is a true statement. Trust your doctor.

Best Wishes

You asked for this not to be merged but unfortunately the thread has turned into a reassurance seeking post.

I have therefore merged it with your previous post on this subject.

Elen

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information