Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Child started having migraines - I'm so worried

Re: Child started having migraines - I'm so worried

RadioGaGa

Hi, oh, I'm so sorry to hear you were ever so young to deal with migraines and vomiting.

Thank you for your reassuring message, I truly appreciate it.

When my daughter had the Optomap test, the optometrist enlarged it on the computer screen and showed us the different parts. I did ask her in private if she could tell things by looking at it and she said yes, and she is confident that everything is extremely healthy.

When you were young, did you take any medication to help the pain and vomiting?

I did make her take a neurofen meltlet and her pain went in about 30 minutes.

I think my main concern is headaches on waking up and then getting out of bed and being sick. I've "Googled"

Did you have any tests to confirm your migraines?

xx

I think all I took for the migraines were paracetamol...which sort of helped. Then as an adult I take aspirin. DO NOT GIVE ASPIRIN TO UNDER 16s UNLESS ON PERMISSION OF THE DOCTOR!!

Migraines usually start at around your daughters age (hormones start changing at this age) but honestly there are no red flags at all in what you’ve described.

Despite what Google (and even some health websites) say, headaches upon wakening are NOT brain tumour specific. There is plenty of evidence of that in the medical literature. So no a morning headache isn’t always a red flag.

Hi

Thank you again.

Don't they say a morning migraine and vomiting is from intercranial pressure? I think this can be seen on an eye exam too.

My elder daughter 18, has started taking aspirin and full fat coke for her migraines - it works for her. She usually wakes with migraines as does my husband.

Isn't it weird that elder daughter had a migraine on Friday, husband Saturday and daughter Sunday?

I found some Neurofen mint flavour meltlets thankfully as she had a medicine phobia too. It seemed to work pretty quickly.

xx

Yes morning headaches and vomiting could be a sign of raised intracranial pressure, but the headaches aren’t usually as severe as a migraine - and the symptoms would persist until the pressure is relieved, by draining the skull. So it wouldn’t happen one day, then cease for weeks. It would be every day!

Headaches from raised ICP are also usually accompanied by other symptoms, including vision loss etc. Again, this would NOT come and go.

You’re describing text book migraines with no worrying features, which is VERY reassuring

Could possibly be a good related trigger - or have you installed any ‘Christmas smells’ in your house lately, like plug ins/candles etc??

Hi,

Oh, that's interesting - my elder daughter has been burning a new brand of candle since the summer - Woodwick candles with the crackling wick.

I can't bear the smell - it makes my eyes hurt xx

I love Woodwick candles haha. My favourite is the Evening Bonfire scent... don’t think it’s made anymore

I remember my mum used to have these scented lavender ‘things’ she left on the radiators (they were a sachet with the scent inside them) and they definitely triggered my migraines...

Hi, don't you think Woodwick have peculiar names?

Daughter's favorite is called "warm wool"!

That's the only coincidental thing I can think of.

xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information