Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: serotonin syndrome

serotonin syndrome

I'm taking low doses of citalopram (10mg) and mirtazapine (7.5mg). My obgyn has just prescribed tramadol 50mg tid. Pharmacist was reluctant for me to walk off with it and wanted me to speak to my doctor first (have left a message), especially as I've never taken an opioid before. I am in a shit tonne of pain, but am now scared to take it. The pharmacist said it makes no difference that the ADs are at a low dose, the potential is still the same. Not really asking for advice, just wondering if others have been in the same boat. (NSAIDs aren't touching the pain, hence the prescription)

Re: serotonin syndrome

They do need to be careful with tramadol

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Doubt you'd get 'serotonin syndrome' but tramadol in conjunction with SSRIs can increase risk of seizures, which is why you have to exercise caution.

See what your GP advises.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thanks, guys. That doesn't sound like fun. Am going to hold off for now, at least until I speak to the doctor.

You might see some pretty colors, Mel

Is Tramadol XR or the normal stuff? 50mg of normal stuff won't do nothing bad, yous can take but don't expect it to give you pain relief for more than s few hours. You'll get constipation too

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Ha!Ha!Ha! (Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds)X.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Hi Vee

It's a risk just as adding other agents that affect serotogenic drugs is but it's not a do not do as it's left to the doctor to monitor the patient. But the pharmacist is being cautious and considering you haven't mentioned whether your doctor will be monitoring you this is no bad thing as some doctors don't understand interactions in my experience.

Has your doctor told you what to look out for? Are you having a fairly quick follow up appointment? If not, perhaps the pharmacist has concerns over what GP's are doing and being cautious? I've seen GP's at my surgery write a prescription only for the patient to be refused at the pharmacy due to interactions before and I know some GP's at my surgery struggle with the basics of what antidepressants cause in terms of side effect and how to use them properly.

Hi Terry. Different prescribing doctors. My GP did the citalopram and mirtazapine. The gyno did the tramadol. It did come up that I was taking an SSRI, but not in the context of the pain management conversation. It just occurred to me to ask the pharmacist about interactions as I've never taken an opioid before, and was vaguely aware of serotonin syndrome. I thought he'd just say I was on such small doses, it would be fine. I was surprised by his reaction

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information