Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: serotonin syndrome

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: serotonin syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Absolutely! I'm all for equality

Is "manhandling" what some blokes can't resist doing in the trouser dept when they are "manspreading"?
    Or when they're "mansplaining" I believe

Never Surrender, Comrade

Now I see where KK gets his bad influence from...Terry. Terry tried to put his matzoh balls in my knish

I didn't even know what a knish was until Vee showed me

It's funny that we men have the term mansplaining. I think it must come from the fact women tend to be 'splaining all the time to us so it's too common to count whereas we deserve some special acknowledgement when we come up with a point! Like the little boy running in to tell his mother he's just done something cool to get a pat on the head

And the first thing you asked me was if you could put matzoh balls in it, Terry

I think it's funny that a bunch of annoying things start with "men"... menstruation, menstrual cycle, mental, menopause, menace, meningitis...

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Mirtazapine serotonin activity is so low even at maximum doses that it is, in the words of one of the two doctors who know most about SS, about as likely to trigger it as a vitamin C tablet is (PDF). Plus, mirtazapine is a serotonin 5-HT2a receptor antagonist (blocker) which can prevent the body temperature spike which does the damage in SS although in humans the recommended treatments are the more potent 5-HT2a antagonists cyproheptadine and chlorpromazine.

While it is more likely to have an effect than mirtazapine, even so you're unlikely to notice anything untoward.
    Thanks, Ian! My gyno said just take it and watch out for a fever or diarrhea etc I'm only going to take it when the pain hits a 10 (and it does, apparently it's comparable to labour pains)

Quote Originally Posted by melfish View Post
    My gyno said just take it and watch out for a fever or diarrhea etc
    Diarrhoea isn't a reliable indicator of serotonin syndrome as it is a common AD side-effect. Fever can be as the danger of SS is a large spike in temperature, but other symptoms usually occur earlier. The Hunter Serotonin Toxicity Criteria (PDF) requires at least 3 of the following to be present: Mental status changes (confusion, hypomania), Agitation, Myoclonus, Hyper reflexia, Diaphoresis, Shivering, Tremor, Diarrhoea, Uncoordination and Fever.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information