Thread: Food and eating anxiety

Food and eating anxiety

Hi all,
    I'm back after a break from this forum! It's that time of year i dread, and for me, my biggest fear is eating! Well, eating out mostly. Eating with people. This has recently become a big thing and now almost impossible to enjoy food!!
    I have realized now where it stems from, a childhood eating thing, and i have acknowledged it.
    But, have no idea what to do! I have kept some journals, i have successfully eaten out with friends recently, but with 2 huge xmas events approaching and xmas day dinner with parents i am dreading it!!
    I basically feel sick and retch and have NO appetite so its impossible to eat. But i have to sit at a table and pretend to eat happily.
    Anyone advise? Help? Suffer the same?!
    Thanks Sarah x

Re: Food and eating anxiety

I struggle a lot with food too, Christmas dinner is a big challenge for me. Honestly though I just don稚 eat if I知 not up to it, everyone that I would share a meal with knows that I struggle and respects my decisions. I didn稚 even eat at my own wedding, or that of my best friend either. I just ate when I got home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Been there, done that; it's not something I recovered from until my mid-twenties. I didn't eat at my own wedding, either! I have two work Christmas meals scheduled and the thought still makes me a bit queasy.

Seriously, just nibble, nobody's going to mind that much.

Thanks guys,I can't imagine a wedding meal! I do usually just nibble and tell people i'm fussy. But it's so hard to sit there while feeling queasy with everyone tucking in and enjoying food!
    I wss thinking of trying hypnosis. Not sure if anyone has tried it?
    Sarah

I don't enjoy Xmas dinner, but noone understands in my family so i hide it. I feel stupid not eating a huge xmas dinner my mum has prepared!!

Neither my husband or I likes a huge Christmas dinner, so we stay at home and eat whatever we fancy. Much more relaxed that way.

I get this and mine is caused by emetephobia, a fear of vomiting. I had it extremely badly when I was younger but got over it. It's crept back in now. It's more the fear of being sick infront of people that distresses me. Have you considered it might be this or is it just pure anxiety that stops you feeling able to eat x

Yes, I used to get this. I've mostly sorted it now thankfully. For me it was a trapped feeling and I thought I would be sick. So, thoughts of embarassment would creep in to.

I think one like this means bringing overall anxiety levels down, rebuilding confidence in what you can do, etc so it's about exposure work and not a quick fix. But you can use those in the moment techniques to get you through until you find your way out of this e.g. breathing techniques, object in pocket to fonder, intent staring at object to distract mind & refocus, etc. Grouding might be worth a look too and as a longer term thing Mindfulness teaches us how to relax in these situations but it does take time & practice.

Thread Information