Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood pressure

Blood pressure

Long time no write!
    I have been doing ok for a few years. No major issues.
    One thing that triggers me is my blood pressure. I actually avoid my annual checkup due to this.

Well I went to my checkup two weeks ago. To no surprise my blood pressure was high! 180/105. It dropped to 150. But I was told to take it at home and come back in one month.

This happened 4 years ago, and it ended up being ok. It also happened 9 years ago. I did the 24 hr monitor, again all ok!

Here is my issue. Generally when I first take it, it is about 168. It drops.
    If I have time, it will go to 135 or so.

But sometimes I am nervous, and it stays at 150 and I don't have the time to calm down.

I am not sure if I should just accept the 135 reading and stop taking it. Or push myself.
    I feel a panic everytime i take it. And when I get a few bad readings, and don't have the time to calm down, it ruins the rest of my day - which causes more stress the next time.

Anyone relate?

Re: Blood pressure

Absolutely! I get so nervous going to the doctor because of it. Someone told me that they monitor at home and bring the doctor the readings . They don’t even get it taken at the office. I’m going to do that for my next visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow best practice nursing guidelines for taking them so that you are doing all the things you need to that are aimed at taking a sensible reading e.g. sitting in the correct position, position of arm, no talking, normalise breathing, no exercise prior to reading, etc.

If you do that then if you get a high reading normalise your breathing whilst focussing on a spot on the wall or an object. Really stare at it. It will help to distract your mind away from anxious feelings and help you to concentrate on normal breathing. Do that with the cuff on so you are getting ready.

I am like you bad bp Phobis started 4 years ago when I got a reading of 129/85. Lol I’d love that now. I bought a monitor and obsession checker at first I got decent readings Then I got a bad One leading to spiraling and obsession. Is he 150 something then down to 120 on recheck. I binned monitor. I still was high at dr. Recently it’s been better readings in 130s over 70s. Yesterday at doc it was 137/65. I was nervous. That’s pre or stage 1 hypertension but I was happy

Frankly, it sounds like white coat syndrome

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Frankly, it sounds like white coat syndrome

Positive thoughts
    Yup. Happens to me EVERY time I see the docs.

My average BP is 115/70. It was 180/95 when I visited my GP a couple of weeks ago.

Wow, that's a huge difference Jase.
    Doesn't the readings depend on age too?
    I never find it reliable.
    One GP told me it was about average for my age.
    Another wanted me to wear a monitor.
    And another said its absolutely fine.
    I also read somewhere that the rule of thumb is normally 100 + your age, but I know from knowledge that GPs like even a 80 year old to be around 120 ish, probably why most care homes are full of comatose residents.
    I also found differ GPs have different responses and they make you chat about your worries and problems, then take the reading forgetting also to tell you not to talk anymore because it affects the reading.
    I absolutely cringe of the thought of it and most of the time high readings are a result of hypertension.
    A bit difficult not to be when you've been waiting before hand in a room full of coughing patients, screaming kids and a dower atmosphere.
    Terry is right, focus on something in the room and maybe read a mag in the waiting room.

Same thing happened to me years ago. The doctor prescribed me blood pressure medications. I told her I have white collar syndrome. I purchased a machine and then became OCD checking my pressure. Turns out I don't have high BP and after a while threw the machine out. I check it at the doctors every visit as they have a machine in the patient area. I always have to take it twice. First time is high, second time is always normal.

Nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I feel like I could have written this post myself.

Ask your doctor if they recommend the multiple reading approach. Some professionals agree with it, others don't. My doc told me that if I ever feel the need to check my BP (because I don't actually need to outside of regular appts) to take two or three readings, about a minute apart, discard the first and take the second (or the average of readings two and three). It's not uncommon at all for the first reading to be high, especially for those of us anxious about our blood pressure already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information