Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass Hunger

Mass Hunger

Lol I can handle the weight but the catch is... I had a Nissen Fundoplication last year. So this craving has led to some crazy times. May have busted my surgery. So my only question is, who has lasted over 6 months and knows tips on the cravings maybe foods that fill you up. I feel the urge for sugar, massive amounts of sugar lol, but I use to drink syrup (no diabetes thank god lol ) So whats your story! I cant stop and wont stop this med. Dr gave me stims for my adhd and I am still hungry!
    Amazing medication, many years to find this solution with a nasty side affect. My mom told me the hunger I describe is like a diabetes patient (she has type 2) my sugar is low.
    I somehow do a 24 hour fast once a week but I cant fight it any longer and its painful lol, insanity ( completed 1 fast, doing one right now! I want to do a 48 hour one day. I hear it can help discipline hunger.

~Sorry for my rough english, I have a hard time typing due to a brain injury I do apologize~

Re: Mass Hunger

Quote Originally Posted by SEANML View Post
    I cant stop and wont stop this med
    I understand the desire to stick with a med that works when others haven't, but also consider the bigger picture. How good is a med that might be causing you real long term harm? You might not be diabetic, atm, but the intense carbohydrate craving is likely taking you down that path and with a family history of the disease you are at higher that usual risk anyway. Mirtazapine isn't really that good an antidepressant. It mostly relies on sedation and there are other meds which may give you a similar outcome without the hunger issue, for example trazodone (Desyrel, or preferably the extended-release Oleptro formulation).

You could also try eating a moderately high protein, moderate fat (mostly unsaturated) and low carb diet, but the mirtazapine induced carb cravings are not going to make it easy, especially at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    I understand the desire to stick with a med that works when others haven't, but also consider the bigger picture. How good is a med that might be causing you real long term harm? You might not be diabetic, atm, but the intense carbohydrate craving is likely taking you down that path and with a family history of the disease you are at higher that usual risk anyway. Mirtazapine isn't really that good an antidepressant. It mostly relies on sedation and there are other meds which may give you a similar outcome without the hunger issue, for example trazodone (Desyrel, or preferably the extended-release Oleptro formulation).

You could also try eating a moderately high protein, moderate fat (mostly unsaturated) and low carb diet, but the mirtazapine induced carb cravings are not going to make it easy, especially at the beginning.
    Truth is, I already use trazodone 200mg plus 30 mg mirtazapine to sleep. 200mg trazodone use to put me to sleep and then it stopped after years of use. mirtazapine and amitroptiline have worked well for mood and sleep but I stopped ami cause of the ana scare, and having a harder time passing waste lol.Also couldnt even flex my stomach muscles and that was only 20mg. I dont like seroquel and the drug benzos hurt my brain. Mirtazapine has this calming effect makes me so worry free. Not a fan of ssris either, evil side effects for me.

Daytime I do not use anything, stopped my stims just cause... it really makes you mood so medium so boring, was on 60mg Ritalin on 10 mg increments. Solves hunger but definitely can make your personality different.I take a 20mg CBD pill in the morning and there is my day Plus coffee all day. Not much water when I come to think of it lol.

Ooo also I can fight the urge to eat sugars. I eat fruits all day and I am fine, sure some syrup would make me feel amazing but I just wont drink it, sometimes I will take a raw cane sugar pack once in the night if I am driving lol, but no more insane drinking of it.

Truth is, I already use trazodone 200mg plus 30 mg mirtazapine to sleep. 200mg trazodone use to put me to sleep and then it stopped after years of use.
    The thing about trazodone, and also mirtazapine to a lesser extent, is that the higher the dose the lower the sedation. Trazodone is typically far more sedating at 25mg than 200mg and it pretty much disappears completely at the recommended 300mg+ for anxiety and depression, especially with slow/extended release formulations which are better at keeping plasma levels above the sedation threshold.

mirtazapine and amitroptiline have worked well for mood and sleep but I stopped ami cause of the ana scare,
    The added risk of heart disease from TCAs is small, the risk from mirtazapine weight gain and diabetes is much higher with the risk from uncontrolled anxiety and depression being higher again.

and having a harder time passing waste lol.
    Increasing fibre and water intake often lessens TCA induced constipation.

Daytime I do not use anything, stopped my stims just cause... it really makes you mood so medium so boring, was on 60mg Ritalin on 10 mg increments. Solves hunger but definitely can make your personality different.I take a 20mg CBD pill in the morning and there is my day Plus coffee all day. Not much water when I come to think of it lol.

Ooo also I can fight the urge to eat sugars. I eat fruits all day and I am fine, sure some syrup would make me feel amazing but I just wont drink it, sometimes I will take a raw cane sugar pack once in the night if I am driving lol, but no more insane drinking of it.
    Again, taking/eating stuff with far more potential negative health effects compared to the small added TCA risk.

I hate the positive Auto Immune and Rheumatoid factor for Amitryip, My biggest fear is auto immune disease, right beside cancer. Other then that I would take amitriptiline in a second. Also hair loss from it is scary :P My doctor retires in a week and this is the last chance I have if I wanted to change. I wont have a doctor for a few months.

I have health anxiety that I overcame but seeing the auto immune risk just scares me shitless. I can avoid diabetes by not eating that sugar :P But my surgery paid for it. I dono its a tough one, I just wonder if anyone has stayed on it long term conquering hunger?

Do you know anyone who was on mirtazapine long term successfully? Or amitrip
    Last edited by SEANML; 08-12-19 at 00:03.

I hate the positive Auto Immune and Rheumatoid factor for Amitryip,
    Just because something is listed as a potential side-effect doesn't mean the med actually causes it. The lists are compiled from drug trials reports and list everything that is reported, even things that can't possibly be caused by the med such as bacterial and viral diseases. I have been only able to find one case report involving antinuclear antibodies (ANA) and amitriptyline and the AD was used to treat the condition, not its cause. Like many TCAs, amitriptyline is a potent antihistamine which can significantly ease immune disorder symptoms and may prevent them in some circumstances.

BTW-anxiety and depression are arguably themselves the results of an autoimmune response which kills brain cells in the hippocampal regions of the brain. ADs work by stimulating the growth of new cells - see: Depression and the Birth and Death of Brain Cells (PDF) and How antidepressant drugs act..

I have health anxiety that I overcame but seeing the auto immune risk just scares me shitless.
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You are taking meds which have a far higher risk of doing you harm because of a potential risk which probably doesn't exist.

Do you know anyone who was on mirtazapine long term successfully? Or amitrip
    People have taken both for decades without issue.
    Last edited by panic_down_under; 08-12-19 at 11:17. Reason: added info

Just because something is listed as a potential side-effect doesn't mean the med actually causes it. The lists are compiled from drug trials reports and list everything that is reported, even things that can't possibly be caused by the med such as bacterial and viral diseases. I have been only able to find one case report involving antinuclear antibodies (ANA) and amitriptyline and the AD was used to treat the condition, not its cause. Like many TCAs, amitriptyline is a potent antihistamine which can significantly ease immune disorder symptoms and may prevent them in some circumstances.

BTW-anxiety and depression are arguably themselves the results of an autoimmune response which kills brain cells in the hippocampal regions of the brain. ADs work by stimulating the growth of new cells - see: Depression and the Birth and Death of Brain Cells (PDF) and How antidepressant drugs act..

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You are taking meds which have a far higher risk of doing you harm because of a potential risk which probably doesn't exist.

People have taken both for decades without issue.

You are being of great help. This is bringing me closer to changing. Also starting to get alot of light headed issues now. Fell over when I woke up lol.
    That anxiety/depression bit is a good read thanks I always thought ami was harder compared to mirtaza.

Thanks for checking up on the auto immune thing, that was my only biggeest concern with amitrip.
    I read I cannot take it with my trazadone though (been on traz for over 15 years.)

You are being of great help. This is bringing me closer to changing. Also starting to get alot of light headed issues now. Fell over when I woke up lol.
    That anxiety/depression bit is a good read thanks I always thought ami was harder compared to mirtaza.

Thanks for checking up on the auto immune thing, that was my only biggeest concern with amitrip.
    I read I cannot take it with my trazadone though (been on traz for over 15 years.)
    Might go talk to talk to my dr tomorrow. Just dono the proper dosing. Did ami at 20mg last time.
    It was a good medicine (amitrip when I used it, just got all paranoid with the having a positive ana once . )
    Last edited by SEANML; 09-12-19 at 01:26.

You could, though your doctor would likely baulk at prescribing amitriptyline at therapeutic doses together with 200mg trazodone a day. Anyway, why take a med that apparently isn't working?

Just dono the proper dosing. Did ami at 20mg last time
    The usual starting dose is 75mg/day in 2-3 divided doses, though I suggest you ask to be started on 2 x 10mg for the first week, increasing to 2 x 20mg for another week before taking the full 75mg, either as 3 x 25mg/day, 25 mg in the morning and 50mg at night, or the whole 75mg at night. I've found I do better taking TCAs in 2-3 divided doses, but YMMV. Amitriptyline is a fairly potent antihistamine, not quite as potent as mirtazapine, but close, which should help you sleep at night. Most end up taking 100-150mg/day for optimal results.

Either trazodone and mirtazapine could still be taken at low hypnotic doses if needed, but the CBD oil could be counterproductive if it contains more than a trace of d9-THC as this can damage hippocampal brain cells. I wouldn't trust the makers claims on this as regulation of supplements is poor and substitutions and dose variations are common. Are you still taking ritalin, and if so why was it prescribed, for ADHD, or to counter mirtazapine sedation and/or weight gain?

You could, though your doctor would likely baulk at prescribing amitriptyline at therapeutic doses together with 200mg trazodone a day. Anyway, why take a med that apparently isn't working?

The usual starting dose is 75mg/day in 2-3 divided doses, though I suggest you ask to be started on 2 x 10mg for the first week, increasing to 2 x 20mg for another week before taking the full 75mg, either as 3 x 25mg/day, 25 mg in the morning and 50mg at night, or the whole 75mg at night. I've found I do better taking TCAs in 2-3 divided doses, but YMMV. Amitriptyline is a fairly potent antihistamine, not quite as potent as mirtazapine, but close, which should help you sleep at night. Most end up taking 100-150mg/day for optimal results.

Either trazodone and mirtazapine could still be taken at low hypnotic doses if needed, but the CBD oil could be counterproductive if it contains more than a trace of d9-THC as this can damage hippocampal brain cells. I wouldn't trust the makers claims on this as regulation of supplements is poor and substitutions and dose variations are common. Are you still taking ritalin, and if so why was it prescribed, for ADHD, or to counter mirtazapine sedation and/or weight gain?
    adhd and for my chronic fatigue. That is what the ritalin is for.

Got all my dosing changed 15 mg mirtaz and 10 mg ami at 100 mg traz
    Then 25 mg traz and 15 mg mirtaz and 20 mg ami Will help with my Fibromalgia too I heard. Pharmacist told me to stop worrying about side effects lol.
    Last edited by SEANML; 09-12-19 at 23:13.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information