Thread: Antidepressants

Antidepressants

Message me directly if you don't wish to share story here but are any of you on antidepressants/medication and would you recommend them? I understand there are a variety and everyone's diagnoses is different but I'm starting to think I need them

Re: Antidepressants

Its something you need to go and speak with your doctor about in detail. They work for some, not for others, some find them invaluable, some find they feel worse - there is every sort of story imaginable about ADs both positive, negative and inbetween. There are personal feelings relating to them too, and how people feel about the use of them. None of this really matters, as you can research all you like, and get annecdotal stories, but ultimately it is your prescriber who will either facilitate or not based on their view of your mental health. They are the ones with the full picture.

I would presume that this sudden interest in doing self-help and medication is related to your partner and the current strain on the relationship ?! Its good to see you asking such questions Rebecca, about diaries, worksheets and assorted other ways to address your problem, and I'm hoping that this comes from the place that you are aware of what your problem is and realise that much long-term application of effort will be required, as you need to sort this for yourself and your toddler - and not just for the partner.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    Message me directly if you don't wish to share story here but are any of you on antidepressants/medication and would you recommend them? I understand there are a variety and everyone's diagnoses is different but I'm starting to think I need them
    Antidepressants can be awful meds, especially at the beginning, that no one in their right mind would take...except when they work, and they don't for all, can almost miraculously change lives. Without ADs I am literally unable to walk outside the front door of my house to check the letterbox, with them I'm able to travel the world.

One thing to be aware of is ADs have no direct affect on anxiety/depression in the way say aspirin has on a headache. They work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) to replace cells killed, or prevented from growing by high brain stress hormone levels. The therapeutic response is produced by these new cells and the stronger interconnections they forge, not the meds directly, and they take time to bud, grow and mature. For a more detailed explanations see: Depression and the Birth and Death of Brain Cells (PDF) and How antidepressant drugs act.

There are also many different types of AD's so it may take quite a while to find one that suits you (a bit trial and error). Not everyone starting AD's has a rough time, but it does take patience as they take a while to build up in your system (can take up to a month before you feel the full effect).

The good news is that they are non addictive, so if you want to stop you can cut down the dosage without side effects. Once you stabilise (mood etc) the idea is to take the lowest dose to maintain. They've been a life saver for me over the years at a very low dose. The only reason I've kept on them is that I suffer from autoimmune conditions and they're very therapeutic for that.

Good luck with it.

I think I'd be dead without ADs... Here are some things to keep in mind if you decide to try them.

1) They work by building up in your system. You can't just pop them like an aspirin for a headache. You need to be on them for at least a year, and it often takes 6 to 8 weeks to see the full effects of any dosage.
    2) For some people, as your body gets used to them, have some start up anxiety in the first 4-6 weeks or so. This is normal. Just keep taking them and power through it; it'll even out. Gradually upping the dosage helps with this a lot.
    3) You have to find the right dosage that works for you. You may need to up the AD after the first few weeks. Again this is normal, and finding the right dosage is a trial and error process, so be patient.
    4) They don't replace therapy to deal with your issues. They make you less likely to dwell on your issues, but you still have to do the work.

Hi, I used to be much more active on here but becoming a mom has taken up a lot of my time. I will say that being on lexapro/escitalopram has changed my life for the better. I have obsessive compulsive disorder and have done therapy for years and years. I also am a therapist. But for me the medication was key to reducing the obsessions enough that I could put CBT into place. I may just stay on it indefinitely as I have come off and on before but always found my way back to the obsessive thinking and checking. You may have side effects but if it’s the right med for you, it is so worth it once they pass. For me it felt like waking up again and being myself. Best of luck whatever you choose!

But for me the medication was key to reducing the obsessions enough that I could put CBT into place.
    This is it ^^^ exactly! I couldn't describe it better!

Quote Originally Posted by swgrl09 View Post
    Hi, I used to be much more active on here but becoming a mom has taken up a lot of my time. I will say that being on lexapro/escitalopram has changed my life for the better. I have obsessive compulsive disorder and have done therapy for years and years. I also am a therapist. But for me the medication was key to reducing the obsessions enough that I could put CBT into place. I may just stay on it indefinitely as I have come off and on before but always found my way back to the obsessive thinking and checking. You may have side effects but if it’s the right med for you, it is so worth it once they pass. For me it felt like waking up again and being myself. Best of luck whatever you choose!
    Just giving swgrl a wave I hope all is well with your family

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Just giving swgrl a wave I hope all is well with your family
    Hi terry!! Very good here, hope you are well too!

Thread Information