Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help please ! Trying to stay away from dr. Google

Re: Help please ! Trying to stay away from dr. Google

Thank you for the replies x

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Nobody was slating you, just reaffirming the idea that staying off Google isn't actually that hard.
    Exactly. A little defensive a? 🙄

Yeah, but it's all good. Fear is fear, and distorts reactions sometimes.

Nobody was slating you, just reaffirming the idea that staying off Google isn't actually that hard.
    If you are addicted to reassurance seeking, it can be very difficult to stop googling.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_VA View Post
    If you are addicted to reassurance seeking, it can be very difficult to stop googling.
    So true. I am so guilty of this.

That's just an excuse to carry on doing it. It's really not THAT hard, you just don't do it.

Google is the exact opposite of reassurance seeking, as Google never tells you you're fine. You'll keep picking at the scab until you come up with cancer.

That's just an excuse to carry on doing it. It's really not THAT hard, you just don't do it.

Google is the exact opposite of reassurance seeking, as Google never tells you you're fine. You'll keep picking at the scab until you come up with cancer.
    I totally agree with this with one small caveat. Google actually is used by the sufferer as a convoluted form of reassurance seeking with a very partisan and negative result. That negative result, which feeds the dragon, also offers affirmation to the fear and what makes it contrary to straight on reassurance seeking. Even if 95% of what turns up is no issue, the sufferer grabs onto the 5% with both hands. For all intents and purposes, Google is the Dragon's sword.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yes you can argue that using Google is some kind of paradoxical anti-reassurance and it's the futile search for and answer that is the problem, I was just trying to illustrate the point that Google is never, ever actually reassuring. Not in my experience anyway!

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I have found it difficult to stop googling. I have improved though. For people like myself who have trouble accepting uncertainty, Google is an immediate quick fix of information that can lead to a feeling of certainty and reassurance. Even if it's only temporary.
    By your logic, it shouldn't be hard for an alcoholic to stop drinking. You just dont do it. Or for a chronic hand washer to stop. You just dont do it. Or someone who checks the stove 10 times. You just dont do it.
    I've made progress in reducing my compulsive behavior, googling/reassurance seeking, but I have to say I never found it easy.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I have found it difficult to stop googling. I have improved though. For people like myself who have trouble accepting uncertainty, Google is an immediate quick fix of information that can lead to a feeling of certainty and reassurance. Even if it's only temporary.
    By your logic, it shouldn't be hard for an alcoholic to stop drinking. You just dont do it. Or for a chronic hand washer to stop. You just dont do it. Or someone who checks the stove 10 times. You just dont do it.
    I've made progress in reducing my compulsive behavior, googling/reassurance seeking, but I have to say I never found it easy.
    I agree. It's surprisingly difficulty for some of us to stop, even when we know that it is not going to help or be constructive in any way. I think it's not always a form of reassurance seeking, though, but a form of rumination.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information