Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help please ! Trying to stay away from dr. Google

Re: Help please ! Trying to stay away from dr. Google

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_VA View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with you. I have found it difficult to stop googling. I have improved though. For people like myself who have trouble accepting uncertainty, Google is an immediate quick fix of information that can lead to a feeling of certainty and reassurance. Even if it's only temporary.
    By your logic, it shouldn't be hard for an alcoholic to stop drinking. You just dont do it. Or for a chronic hand washer to stop. You just dont do it. Or someone who checks the stove 10 times. You just dont do it.
    I've made progress in reducing my compulsive behavior, googling/reassurance seeking, but I have to say I never found it easy.
    It's not comparable to a chemical addiction in any way. A chemical addiction becomes a physical need, and I don't see the logic in comparing the two at all. This is coming from somebody who has had an addiction to nicotine, cocaine and alcohol (although the latter less so).

Googling is a habit, most forms of OCD are habits. They are not a situation with a hard edged external trigger like a chemical addiction, and habits are (relatively speaking) easy to break using practice.

If you find it hard, it's because you're not applying enough practice.

My 'final frontier' is losing weight. Unlike some, I put weight on with my anxiety. I'm not succeeding at the level I want to yet, but I'm not going to say 'but oh it's hard' because it's really not. My weight isn't reducing because I'm still not applying enough self control to what I eat. Telling myself it's hard is giving myself the excuse to stay fat.
    Last edited by ankietyjoe; 09-12-19 at 17:49.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    My 'final frontier' is losing weight. Unlike some, I put weight on with my anxiety. I'm not succeeding at the level I want to yet, but I'm not going to say 'but oh it's hard' because it's really not. My weight isn't reducing because I'm still not applying enough self control to what I eat. Telling myself it's hard is giving myself the excuse not stay fat.
    The logic in your entire post makes me want to scream YES!!!

On the weight loss front. I work for a very large, long standing, popular weight loss company. You're absolutely 100% correct in your explanation above, it's amazing how people will dodge that truth, they'll fight to convince me they are not losing weight because of some outside force.

You are awesome!

When you tell people it's not their fault, they'll happily pay for a solution. It's just psychology really.

Weight loss companies are going to provide the opposite solution to long term weight loss, logically.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Weight loss companies are going to provide the opposite solution to long term weight loss, logically.
    Wrong. I work 7 days a week in the field, I see hundreds of members in that time, the success, the long term success is wildly amazing and thrilling. We WANT successful people... we give them a lifetime FREE membership for doing so... we WANT their success out there spreading the word. We have 4.6 million members and we can help ALL of them reach their goals by teaching them how to live in an obescingetic environment, and sadly NEVER run out of over weight and morbidly obese people. There is an endless supply of obese people look around you, we're not hurting for potential members.
    Last edited by NancyW; 09-12-19 at 18:48.

The long term success of weight loss companies is statistically very low though. As an individual I'm sure you do want people to succeed, but the weight loss companies know that for the majority of clients the weight will come back on within two years. It's a cyclical thing, based on the Standard American Diet. If you eat the SAD, you will almost inevitably get fat.

Its the diet mentality... I lost the weight now I'm done. Old eating habits never die.

We are never "done".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information