Thread: Burned throat... breathing panic

Burned throat... breathing panic

Hi everyone

So I have mild asthma and I do not smoke. But in Saturday night I had a few tokes on someone's spliff (I know, stupid of me).... and it was quite far down to the end and so it burned my throat. It hurt. I woke up next morning with a soreness (kind of like when you have a cough you get that chesty soreness from coughing).
    Then this morning, the pain was really bad, I felt like I had a bad chest infection and that I couldn't get enough air into my lungs, like my breathing tubes were tightening. I went to the A&E believing an asthma attack, to be told I wasn't having an asthma attack, it was probably just irritation from the smoke burn.
    I have been coughing a lot and it makes a horrible whooping noise when I cough or huff.

They didn't do an xray or anything so how do they know how constricted my windpipes are from inflammation? I'm just worried the burn is going to get more inflamed and cut off my air supply. Ive been taking honey and lemon. I'm scared it's gonna set my asthma off... I feel weak and shellshocked from the panic of this morning 😔
    Anyone else experienced this kind of really sore chesty throat burn after smoking a rollie or anything else?
    I wish i hadnt bothered... because I'm now suffering and my HA is through the roof. Thanks in advance.

Re: Burned throat... breathing panic

That sounds pretty scary, and I know I’d be worried too but you’ve had the all clear so you just need to concentrate on getting better.

Like any burn it will take a few days to heal, so try not to eat or drink anything too hot as that will probably irritate it. Soothing stuff like milk or yogurt might be good? Honey will surely help as well.

I’m sure you’ll feel better in no time.

Re: Burned throat... breathing panic

Quote Originally Posted by alcopop View Post
    They didn't do an xray or anything so how do they know how constricted my windpipes are from inflammation? I'm just worried the burn is going to get more inflamed and cut off my air supply. Ive been taking honey and lemon. I'm scared it's gonna set my asthma off... I feel weak and shellshocked from the panic of this morning 
    Anyone else experienced this kind of really sore chesty throat burn after smoking a rollie or anything else?
    I wish i hadnt bothered... because I'm now suffering and my HA is through the roof. Thanks in advance.
    They can tell they are not inflamed by the way your breathing is working. They can use a peak flow, use a stethoscope to listen to your lungs, etc.

Think about how a throat or chest infection can cause similar impact on you. It just needs to heal. You will have inhalers if you need some breathing support until it eases off. So, treat it as no different to how a cough/cold tends to affect asthma.

Thread Information