Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Increasing from 20-30 - positive stories?

Re: Feeling hopeless - 5 weeks on cit second time, day 18 on 20mg

Thanks Sparkle - did you have awful anxiety? If so how did you manage it during the first few months? How long did it take to see some benefit?

Yes, I had awful heightened anxiety for the first 2 months. After that, I did start to see some benefit. After 3 months, I'd say I felt about 80% like my usual (non-anxious) self, but it wasn't until 9 months that I felt 100% my usual self. It was the most drawn-out anxiety episode I ever had. I also had CBT, which was very helpful in terms of learning new coping techniques. I found mindfulness meditation very helpful too, in fact I still use it on a daily basis. I use the Calm mobile app for that.

Thanks Sparkle. Was that 2 months from starting on 20mg?

Is it normal to feel physically horrible as well mentally horrible in the early stages of taking citalopram? My psychiatrist has got me taking lorazepam more regularly but if I don’t take it I just feel horrible. Physically anxious, bit fluey, achy, headachy, just yuck. Assume these are side effects of the meds. Should this still be going on after 5 weeks?
    Last edited by Windywel; 05-11-19 at 06:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Windywel View Post
    There are rodent studies that look at hippocampal neurogenesis and benzodiazepines and very limited human studies about this.
    That is because the living aren't thrilled to have their brain dissected to prove it is just as valid in humans. Go figure. But the latest study I cited, Boldrini M, 2014, is based on post mortem examination of human brains.

Also, there is no clear clinical significance or relevance of the results of these studies.”
    Says who? Those doing the research must think it important. Does he believe BZDs can cause depression? If yes, what mechanism does he propose to account for this? Could neurogenesis inhibition be it?

So I don’t think you should be saying that to people who have been adviser to use them by their clinicians but then become too scared to.
    I have not said to not take BZDs, just cautioned that their use be limited to treating the initial increase in anxiety when first taking ADs and after dose increases and then only for occasional breakthrough anxiety thereafter and cited the reasons why. What you choose to do with this is up to you.

I don't believe in mollycoddling people. Many come here because their experiences with meds is at odds with what their doctors are telling them either out of, imho, misplaced attempts to jolly them along by downplaying what they are going through, or out of ignorance. I'm not about to do the same. The anxious are far more resilient than many doctors credit. They deserve to be told the truth about what they face so they know what is and isn't 'normal', not have their hands patted sympathetically while being told everything is going great when it clearly isn't.

If you find that confronting then I urge you to block me by clicking on panic_down_under at the top left of this post and then View Profile, you should then see a Add to Ignore List link in the left column. This will block my posts from appearing in your feed.

I don’t want to block you I find your advice very useful - I just think you should be careful about citing studies that are not definitive. Anxious people are anxious and whilst we often look for information from different sources we need to be able to trust the information we get is from credible sources. I’m not sure that limited studies on benzodiazepines in rats counts as a credible source. Perhaps just good to mention that.

I’m not sure that limited studies on benzodiazepines in rats counts as a credible source.
    Then you'd have to throw out the bulk of anxiety and depression research. The rat/mice model of anxiety and depression is considered a valid one. Brains, whether in mice or men, respond the same when stressed.

Thanks Sparkle. Was that 2 months from starting on 20mg?
    I started on 10mg then went up to 15mg after a week and finally up to 20mg after 2 weeks. So it was 2 months after starting on the 20mg. My side effects were both physical and psychological. You can see more on my day-to-day diary of restarting the meds at https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...talopram-diary

Thanks Sparkle - will have a read. Did you have a whole lot of what if thoughts about the medication not working? It’s really slow this time and I’m really scared it’s not going to work. How did you manage those thoughts? The problem for me is that I was like you and went back on the cit cos I thought I was nipping the depression and anxiety in the bud but instead going back on them has made everything worse cos it ramped the anxiety up, I then get anxious about being anxious and totally focussed on whether the meds would work then all the health anxiety came back, all the negative thoughts and here where are!! I saw my psychiatrist yesterday and he said to stick to the plan as it would be unusual for the cit to not work again but it’s still hard to feel positive when it’s taking so long. Your story is reassuring though as I am only 3 weeks on 20. Hard to imagine another 5 or so weeks of this but I will just have to try and stay strong. I was really hoping to be better by Christmas. Would be awesome if you could keep supporting me - thanks heaps

Hi Windywel
    i m on day 2 10mg so far , so will be interesting to see how I feel as this is my third or even fourth attempt the reading my old messages.
    so far just feeling really tired and my stomach is bit off.
    Stick with it , it will get better.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information