Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Increasing from 20-30 - positive stories?

Re: 8 weeks on 20mg of cit second time- feeling hopeless again

Quote Originally Posted by Windywel View Post
    how long do the side effects usually last when increasing?
    Usually not long, a week or two, assuming there are any as it is by no means a certainty. Ramping the dose up in 5mg steps should significantly limit their severity.

Doc also suggested possibly adding in quetiapine but not sure about the metabolic side effects -don’t to put on lots of weight again. I asked about pregabin
    I'm not a fan of poly prescribing. It can sometimes be necessary, but I don't see the value in taking multiple meds when one at the right dose may do the trick. Both may themselves trigger side-effects, both initially and ongoing.

I have been helping myself
    I meant by increasing the citalopram AD dose.

Thanks PDU - have taken 25 today - assuming it would make sense to do a week of that and then go to 30? Doc suggested an even slower increase but that feels like it could prolong side effects and delay benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Windywel View Post
    assuming it would make sense to do a week of that and then go to 30? Doc suggested an even slower increase but that feels like it could prolong side effects and delay benefits.
    The rule of thumb is to not increase doses before plasma levels of the current one stabilise to a steady-state. This takes up to 5 times the half-life of the med which for citalopram is 36 hours, so no sooner than 7-8 days. Increasing earlier may significantly worsen side-effects, however, delaying it further won't significantly lessen them in response to the next increase no matter how long the delay.

Re: Increasing from 20-30 - positive stories?

Hi,
    I upped from 20mg to 30mg a few years back and it helped loads. Be kind to yourself and try it!
    Good luck x

Re: Increasing from 20-30 - positive stories?

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information