Thread: Is this IBS or IBD?

Is this IBS or IBD?

So I’ve been suffering with stomach issues for a while.

About 5 years ago, I suffered with very bad stomach issue. Severe pain, severe diarrhea with mucus and blood and this went on for about 4 days. I ended up in a&e because of pain but the diarrhea has stopped. Blood tests were done and I was told I had an infection. At the time I didn’t think to ask what was seen and if I should be worried. Only told that they wouldn’t give me medication because my body had fought most of the infection off.

After a while my stomach started to settle but since then I’ve had a very sensitive stomach and more diarrhoea prone then anything else.

I am now being tested for possible IBD or IBS. My question is do these symptoms sound like IBD or IBS?

- Near constant stomach discomfort but it is not severe. Doesn’t wake me from my sleep. Some days are better then others.
    - Diarrhoea sometimes with mucus but no blood. On bad days I could need to go 4/5 times a day. Most days need to go 1 to 2 time’s a day. Again the symptoms don’t wake me up and are worse in the morning and calm down after lunch.
    - No known triggers cause this. Some days I can drink milk for example with no issues and other days I can’t. So I don’t know any triggers.
    - Stool test showed calprotectin levels were 64 and it should be 50 or below. (I don’t know much about this and not sure what these numbers would indicate).
    - Colonoscopy was normal apart from the end of the colon going into the small bowel, they saw mild patchy erythema. Doctor didn’t seem concerned and asked if I take a lot of NSAIDs which I don’t. They took biopsies.
    - Biopsy should mild inflammation only. There was no granulomas or anything.

My concern is I have something like Crohns which really worries me. My GP is less concerned but to be on the safe side has referred me for further investigation. She thinks it’s more IBS but I’ve read that IBS does not cause inflammation or raise in calprotectin levels. It worries me a lot! So would appreciate if anyone has any knowledge on this!

Thank you!

Re: Is this IBS or IBD?

Also I don’t have the following symptoms: blood, fever or weight loss

But

I do have:
    Pain (on and off), near constant stomach discomfort, diarrhea (on and off), mucus, gas and gurgling in stomach.

Ah, you are me! except you were brave enough to have the colonoscopy - I had terrible terrible d* after just two antibiotics so stopped them immediately and am scared the colonoscopy prep will send my body crazy - how did that go for you?

I have however had stool test and blood test and all came back clear - apparantly scans can show IBD so maybe ask your doctor...

Hi Jalapeno1234

Thanks for responding - the Colonoscopy was fine! It's honestly not that bad - the thought of it is worse. Prep isn't the most fun and it's a bit painful when they do it but its not that bad and I actually felt quite good after it.

The problem is my symptoms are so muddled and mixed that its pretty hard to know whether it's IBS or IBD. I am absolutely terrified of it being IBD :(

Thread Information